cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide on how to improve my credit?? What new card should I apply for?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Help me decide on how to improve my credit?? What new card should I apply for?

@madnutz wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@madnutz wrote:

I don't have them on hand, but remember that they were 3 scores the loan officer told me i had

690 something

620 something

and 650 something

Although I don't remember what score was from what credit buereau, I can ask the loan lady I was working with on Monday if that would help, also I had 1 late payment on my credit when I applied for hte mortgage loan, this was due to someone having me as an authorized user on THEIR credit card, after I found this out, i filed a dispute with the 2 credit agencies it was reporting on and got them deleted from my credit report, so the scores should be higher on the lower 2 since it was reporting on those two only

Amex and Chase in most cases will pull EX and possibly EQ so if scores are over 670 there your in better shape 

Close on the mortgage and go straight home and app away but be prepared to recon all due to the large number of INQ's 

Some of which can easly be explained as mortgage ...hopefully the car too.

All but 7 INQ's are over a year old so that will help a little

Thank you for the insight Smiley Happy Which Amex do you recommend would give me the best shot, where would i find recon number for amex? I have the chase slate recon number already

Charge cards are the easiest to get approved for and if approved app the revolver of your choice. In most cases it will be the same HP..YMMV tho

The recon number can be found in the backdoor sticky thread at the top of the CC forum page

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 22
madnutz
New Contributor

Re: Help me decide on how to improve my credit?? What new card should I apply for?

Done and done, thank you both for hte responses, The credit pull from cox communications shoudn't cause any problems for me closing my mortgage loan right? I was told by the cox rep it woudn't do a pull... I was extremely upset when i got the alert hte next day Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@madnutz wrote:

Done and done, thank you both for hte responses, The credit pull from cox communications shoudn't cause any problems for me closing my mortgage loan right? I was told by the cox rep it woudn't do a pull... I was extremely upset when i got the alert hte next day Smiley Sad

Cox not a problem in fact i'm sure the mortgage people have seen it already 

Pre-congarts on the new home 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 13 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Just so we are clear, Amex recons are successful IF the CR they pull is incorrect. They will not recon correct CR's or entertain explanations as to 'why'.

I would suggest, if your scores are hovering around 650 and you are ok with another inq- then try for a charge as has been suggested. However, I would have plan B ready in case that option fails.

Lenders that are more flexible with recons are Chase and Barclays.
Message 14 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

While you are at it, I would contact Macy's and Cap One for CLI's after you close. Those cards have been opened too long with those CL's.
Message 15 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Just so we are clear, Amex recons are successful IF the CR they pull is incorrect. They will not recon correct CR's or entertain explanations as to 'why'.

I would suggest, if your scores are hovering around 650 and you are ok with another inq- then try for a charge as has been suggested. However, I would have plan B ready in case that option fails.

Lenders that are more flexible with recons are Chase and Barclays.

Forgot to mention that thanks Lexie your the best Heart

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 16 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 17 of 22
JonStur
Established Contributor

At this point you defininately have an inq problem..combine that with 600ish scores and even IF prime lenders give you credit cards their limits will probably be measly... If you have it in you to be a little patient and wait 8mos -a year and keep your balances down, the sky would be the limit for you because you're in great shape otherwise!!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 18 of 22
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

I believe Express is a SP for a CLI online. May need someone else to chime in. 

Message 19 of 22
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Also, unless you plan on doing BT, I would stay away from the Slate and instead get a Freedom and/or CSP. Freedom at least. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.