Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me determine what to do next

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me determine what to do next

I am an authorized user on my husbands 3 cards and I've never had credit before this. My report looks this way:

Wamu     $3500 limit balance 400 age of acct 5 months
Bof A       $2500 limit balance 0     age 13 months
CapOne  $750   limit balance 0     age 4 months

My score is 729 ( I got the score from Scorewatch Equifax today ) and I would like to get my own cards since my husband is envious that my scores are slightly higher than his....lol.

Please help us to decide what cc I should apply for? My husband reads this forum everyday and he says that I can get the best direction here. Thank you all.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me determine what to do next

bump
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am by no means an expert, but your score is higher than the scores of some people here who have Discover and AMEX cards. I understand those are good ones to have.

You will definitley get better cards than I have. If I had that score I would try Citi for one of their prime cards, maybe Chase? I understand from reading here their Freedom Rewards card is a good one. Maybe in a few years I will qualify for a prime card.

Message 3 of 30
jaybird201
Established Contributor

I'd say first take a look at your bank's or credit union's website. If they offer you a good card, I'd stick with them (If you've been pleased with their service thus far).

With your scores you'll almost certainly qualify for a no annual fee rewards card. You might not get approved for some of the higher-end cards due to your short credit history, but that'll come with time.

Here are some suggestions:

If you or a family member are or have been in the military
Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards Visa card. They have a card with no annual fee, a simple 1% back rewards program, tend to give great credit limits and have excellent customer service.

Also the Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa card has great rewards. 5% back on gas and 2% back on groceries each month with 1.25% back on everything else.

Credit unions in general have lower interest rates on credit cards, so if you're a member or are eligible for membership, take a look.

If you are a Costco member
The American Express True Earnings card has no annual fee if you are a Costco member, has some of the best rewards out there (3% on gas, 3% back on restaurants, 2% back on travel and 1% back on everything else). AmEx also is also great with warranties. Buy a laptop and it breaks or stops working? Give them a call and there's a good chance they'll cover it.

If you are a Sam's Club member
Don't know much about this card, but the Sam's Club Discover card is highly comparable to the AmEx True Earnings.

Otherwise
Bank of America and Citibank both have a wide selection of cards including rewards cards. My favorite from Citibank is the Dividend Platinum Select Mastercard and my favorite from Bank of American is the Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Mastercard.

Message 4 of 30
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Just to add. I have your exact Score Watch score right now and I have a Discover Open Road card I use for gas and auto purchases, I have an AmEx TE that I use for everything else and I carry a Navy Federal nRewards Visa just in case neither my AmEx or Discover is accepted (Some smaller merchants only accept Visa/Mastercard. It's usually recommended to carry at least one Visa/Mastercard as a backup).

Personally I would recommend a good AmEx or Discover as they have great customer service and grow with you very well (Your credit limit grows as your account ages and they treat you well in general) with a Visa as a backup.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the for the ideas but would me being an authorized user on my husband's cards hinder me when I apply, in other words do the card companies hold that against you when you apply online? Also I don't know my other scores and if they are reporting on Transunion and Experian. Do you know of any ccc that only check Equifax if you live in Maryland?
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump...please i need help and I'm terrified to apply for cards without your help.
Message 7 of 30
CodeMonkey
Contributor

With those scores you will be fine. Smiley Happy

The only time a company would "hold an AU account against you" is if there were any derogs on said account; but since you're only an AU you could get that account removed from your credit report easily enough.

And given your 700+ scores it doesn't sound like there are any derogs on those accounts at all - so in other words, you have nothing to worry about.

If you're looking for prime cards I would definitely give Citi a gander - they have some pretty nice cards and I don't think you would have much trouble qualifying for most of them.

Good luck!
Message 8 of 30
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

My votefor a high percentage bet would be Cabelas Visa for a nice CL and a EQ pull.

My experience:  First Unsecured Card, No revolving history, 699 EQ FICO + $5,000 CL...

Also a CU perhaps... 

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 9 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I would caution that since all of OP's cards are AU cards, it is possible that she might have a bit more trouble getting a card, or one with a decent limit. Not so much a case of "holding it against" her, but of, "Well, that's nice, but we don't have any information about you yourself.

I would go to my local bank (if it's not part of some ridiculously huge chain) or local credit union and start there. Get six months' worth of credit in your own name, while your scores get even better, and then apply with one of the big national banks.

You might well be able to get a good card now, but with banks so gun-shy, it's not a gimme. The local bank/CU route might be safer. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.