Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me eliminate some AFs

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Help me eliminate some AFs

With my recent approval for the PRG, (and Green, but I'm cancelling) I think its time to trim out some AFs. I plan to keep the PRG for a long time and use it as a tool to control my spending since its PIF, and some cards may become obsolete. My AF cards are 

Venture opened 12/2015

Delta Amex opened 4/2015

CSP opened 4/2015

Gold AAvangtage opened 3/2015

Ideally, I would close the Delta, PC the CSP to Freedom, PC the AAdvantage to DC, and roll the Venture limit into my Quiksilver. BUT I fly Delta primarily and their free checked bag and priority boarding benefit is great, and I like being able to transfer UR points. I saw on another thread that CSP and PRG are good to have together, so perhaps just PCing the AA and rolling the Venture to keep those 3 AFs is ideal. I may still app for the Marriott and roll the CSP limit onto there, but that would be the only way I actually closed the CSP. Any advice? I know I keep changing my mind on these things, I just wanna have a solid plan before doing anything drastic

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Help me eliminate some AFs

Why are PRG and CSP good together?  Do you have enough spend to use both MR and UR?   If you want to keep PRG, I would focus on MR cards such as ED (or EDP with an AF).   If you don't transfer UR (or at least use them on the chase portal for travel) the CSP is just a 2% somewhere card, whereas there are free 2% everywhere cards

Message 2 of 11
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Why are PRG and CSP good together?  Do you have enough spend to use both MR and UR?   If you want to keep PRG, I would focus on MR cards such as ED (or EDP with an AF).   If you don't transfer UR (or at least use them on the chase portal for travel) the CSP is just a 2% somewhere card, whereas there are free 2% everywhere cards

I transfer UR a lot. And I'm not really interested in the ED/EDP. I was just saying it was something I saw on the forum. If I was to PC the CSP, I would just have UR for cashback sake, which isnt too useful since I have other CB cards

Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 3 of 11
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Without a doubt, disposing of that Venture card would be my top priority, especially if you are able to PC your Citi AA Gold to the Citi DC. No reason to pay for 2% back at that point, or any time, in my opinion; but that's for another discussion. You already (presumably) received the sign up bonus on the Venture and have no obligation to keep the card, so hopefully no one brings up the argument that the $400 covers the AF for 6 years. 

As for the CSP, I would agree that you should probably try to PC it to the Freedom. If Marriott has been your preferred transfer partner for UR points, I would urge you even more to dispose of the CSP. 

That covers 3 of your AF cards. Apparently, you are obtaining a decent value from your Delta AmEx, so it seems that AF can be justified. I'm not a fan of the card or the Delta Skymiles program, but checked baggage fees do add up. 

Message 4 of 11
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

Without a doubt, disposing of that Venture card would be my top priority, especially if you are able to PC your Citi AA Gold to the Citi DC. No reason to pay for 2% back at that point, or any time, in my opinion; but that's for another discussion. You already (presumably) received the sign up bonus on the Venture and have no obligation to keep the card, so hopefully no one brings up the argument that the $400 covers the AF for 6 years. 

As for the CSP, I would agree that you should probably try to PC it to the Freedom. If Marriott has been your preferred transfer partner for UR points, I would urge you even more to dispose of the CSP. 

That covers 3 of your AF cards. Apparently, you are obtaining a decent value from your Delta AmEx, so it seems that AF can be justified. I'm not a fan of the card or the Delta Skymiles program, but checked baggage fees do add up. 

Hyatt has actually been my preferred tranfer partner when I want to get a quick free roomand they require less points. However Marriott is the chain I'll actually charge a room at, and where I stay the most, and has more properties, which is why I was leaning more towards the Marriott than Hyatt

Message 5 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Several good suggestions so far, I'll just add that if you're clearly getting value from a card (specifically, more value than the AF is costing you) I would take it off the 'chopping block' completely - for example, if the Delta Amex Gold saves you more than $95 in checked luggage fees, it would be foolish to close or PC it.

I also agree wholeheartedly with others on the Venture - I would either PC it or roll the limit into a QS at the first opportunity.  You need to spend $12k on it to make worth more (in rewards) than a QS, so unless that's you it would be first on my list.

With my own cards, they each have to 'earn' their place in my wallet - as the song goes, "I don't want no scrubs" (yes, I'm an old dude).  In my own case the Green is getting the axe when the AF comes due in a few months because I'm unable to make MR points for me. 

My cards each have a definite purpose, and they serve me well.  If any card ceases to at least 'break even' in regards to the AF, it has to go.  When you're considering which cards to close or PC, just do the math to see if they are pulling their weight, and go from there.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I transfer UR a lot. And I'm not really interested in the ED/EDP. I was just saying it was something I saw on the forum. If I was to PC the CSP, I would just have UR for cashback sake, which isnt too useful since I have other CB cards

Are MR useful to you too? Otherwise I would recommend getting rid of the PRG (you don't need a charge card to always PIF!). CSP + Freedom are a good combo for UR. If you get value out of Delta (free checked bag + priority boarding) I would keep it if the benefits outweigh the AF. I would move Venture's limit into QS and then PC to DC for your Citi card. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 11
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Message 8 of 11
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Are MR useful to you too? Otherwise I would recommend getting rid of the PRG (you don't need a charge card to always PIF!). CSP + Freedom are a good combo for UR. If you get value out of Delta (free checked bag + priority boarding) I would keep it if the benefits outweigh the AF. I would move Venture's limit into QS and then PC to DC for your Citi card. 

I've never used MR, this is my first MR card and researching the program and benefits I know it will be beneficial. With the 5/24 rule I don't think I'll get a Freedom anytime soon so pairing it with the CSP is dead for now.  I definitely think I'll make good use out of the PRG, even if it means getting rid of some others 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

EDP and CSP can be a pretty good combo. EDP covers groceries, gas, and everything else. CSP covers dining and travel. PRG is just average at everything.

The EDP and CSP combo doesn't work for everyone, though, and it might not work for me for too much longer.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.