Reply
Contributor
slippy84
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-24-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


loviedovie wrote:

Oh and just as an FYI- I just read your last post about listing your income as 24k. This is pretty low. 

The branch manager herself filled out my app on her computer and when I told her I was living on federal loans she asked me what the total amount was per year- 60k. 

She listed that as my income and said I would be fine.

 

(I will hear back in 2 weeks whether I got the card, but since I've been banking with them for 15 years she thinks it is a formality, and your scores are higher than mine so it might be easier even for you.)

 

So think about it. I don't know a lot about how they determine limits but income I believe is a factor so if you can go with the pre-tuition amount, I would do it. 


Oh interesting. Thanks for sharing! It sounds like we're in similar circumstances. In that case, my "income" would be $40k

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend Platinum Select (in 45-day wait period for Dividend Mastercard World Elite:smileyhappy:) -- AMEX BCE
Contributor
slippy84
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-24-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


L-TWT wrote:

slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy83 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm interested in finding a better rewards credit card than the one I currently have. I don't know if I can get a better one or not but I figured someone would be able to help me out. I'm currently using a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card that I got over 3 years ago. My credit limit is $6k. I don't like how you need to redeem the cashback in increments of $50, and the categories they offer for increased cashback % are rarely things I use. That is my only card that I personally have, but I am an authorized user on 2 credit cards my dad has. The credit limits on those cards are high (22.5k and 30k). The big downside is that I don't have a job! I'm a full time grad student living on student loans. My credit score through Equifax is 760. So is there anything that I can apply for? Or should I stick with what I've got already? Thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!

1st let me say welcome to the forums:smileywink:

What kind of rewards r u interested in? cash back or points? And based upon your credit score, sky is the limit if u do not have any negatives on your report and AAOA is good. I also have a Citi Dividend card that I'm disappointed with, but I was enformed VIA some1 in CitiCard marketing Dept. that there r some good changes coming to the Dividend card in the early part of 2013, so i would just be patient.

 


 

First off, the forums didn't seem to like my old username and made me pick a new one! Oh well

 

Thanks for the reply! I am most interested in cash back rather than gift cards, plane tickets, etc. but would be fine with anything TBH

 

I don't have any negatives. My AAoA is 3 years 6 months.

 

Definitely hoping Citi makes their rewards more attractive. Since I've had my card, it has become even less attractive by only cutting checks in $50 increments


What was your initial username? "HoldyourbreathItWillOnlyHurt4aLittle":smileylol:

But all jokes aside, I perfer cashback as well, I find CC's which offer points to be not too Str8 forward.

I just opened the Cap1 Cash Rewards Visa Sig....it has a $100 initial sign up bonus, one can redeem cash back any time, 50% anniversary bonus, Perk Central shopping portal (which is good for in-store/online purchase) & the most important factor for me, it has no FTF for international travel. In my opinion, it is a very well rounded card and my credit scores r about the same as yours and they started me off with a LARGE initial CL:smileywink:


Haha I'm guessing that's the username for a troll or something? No, my original username was "slippy83" which is what I used to make the original post. Then when I logged back on to respond, the forums told me I needed to pick a username and wouldn't let me pick the same thing!

 

Anyway, thanks for the input about the Cap1 Cash Rewards card! It looks like to me that there are a lot of great options out there that would probably be better for me than my current card. For someone who only charges about $1k per month, how many credit cards do you think it too many? Is 2 too many? 3? I see forum signatures on here with like 10 cards but that seems more for people with real jobs and stuff :smileytongue:

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend Platinum Select (in 45-day wait period for Dividend Mastercard World Elite:smileyhappy:) -- AMEX BCE
Valued Contributor
kevinjjc
Posts: 1,310
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!

How about the Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa for 2% rewards? If you don't get instantly approved, Barclays is known to be recon friendly.

 

Great rewards, and an awesome looking card that is a great conversation starter! :smileylol:

 

 

Frequent Contributor
L-TWT
Posts: 290
Registered: ‎12-18-2011
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy83 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm interested in finding a better rewards credit card than the one I currently have. I don't know if I can get a better one or not but I figured someone would be able to help me out. I'm currently using a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card that I got over 3 years ago. My credit limit is $6k. I don't like how you need to redeem the cashback in increments of $50, and the categories they offer for increased cashback % are rarely things I use. That is my only card that I personally have, but I am an authorized user on 2 credit cards my dad has. The credit limits on those cards are high (22.5k and 30k). The big downside is that I don't have a job! I'm a full time grad student living on student loans. My credit score through Equifax is 760. So is there anything that I can apply for? Or should I stick with what I've got already? Thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!

1st let me say welcome to the forums:smileywink:

What kind of rewards r u interested in? cash back or points? And based upon your credit score, sky is the limit if u do not have any negatives on your report and AAOA is good. I also have a Citi Dividend card that I'm disappointed with, but I was enformed VIA some1 in CitiCard marketing Dept. that there r some good changes coming to the Dividend card in the early part of 2013, so i would just be patient.

 


 

First off, the forums didn't seem to like my old username and made me pick a new one! Oh well

 

Thanks for the reply! I am most interested in cash back rather than gift cards, plane tickets, etc. but would be fine with anything TBH

 

I don't have any negatives. My AAoA is 3 years 6 months.

 

Definitely hoping Citi makes their rewards more attractive. Since I've had my card, it has become even less attractive by only cutting checks in $50 increments


What was your initial username? "HoldyourbreathItWillOnlyHurt4aLittle":smileylol:

But all jokes aside, I perfer cashback as well, I find CC's which offer points to be not too Str8 forward.

I just opened the Cap1 Cash Rewards Visa Sig....it has a $100 initial sign up bonus, one can redeem cash back any time, 50% anniversary bonus, Perk Central shopping portal (which is good for in-store/online purchase) & the most important factor for me, it has no FTF for international travel. In my opinion, it is a very well rounded card and my credit scores r about the same as yours and they started me off with a LARGE initial CL:smileywink:


Haha I'm guessing that's the username for a troll or something? No, my original username was "slippy83" which is what I used to make the original post. Then when I logged back on to respond, the forums told me I needed to pick a username and wouldn't let me pick the same thing!

 

Anyway, thanks for the input about the Cap1 Cash Rewards card! It looks like to me that there are a lot of great options out there that would probably be better for me than my current card. For someone who only charges about $1k per month, how many credit cards do you think it too many? Is 2 too many? 3? I see forum signatures on here with like 10 cards but that seems more for people with real jobs and stuff :smileytongue:


Me personally, I do not believe in having more than 2 CC's, but I needed another CC without a FTF and no AF. My parents started me & my siblings off with established credit when we were young by adding us as AU's, so when we reached 18, we had scores way over 750+. So if  i c someones signature and they have over 10+ CC's I tend to think they were picking up CC's along the way as they established their credit or their ADDICTED. For you will need an Excel spread sheet to keep up with all those CC's :smileylol:

Portfolio: Amex BCE (21.6k) | Cap1 QS VS (15k) | Citi Dividend WEMC (30K)

"Having a credit card is nice, but cash is king"
Contributor
slippy84
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-24-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


kevinjjc wrote:

How about the Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa for 2% rewards? If you don't get instantly approved, Barclays is known to be recon friendly.

 

Great rewards, and an awesome looking card that is a great conversation starter! :smileylol:

 

 


Wow 2% on everything is tempting, but what an ugly card! haha

 

Thanks for the suggestion!

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend Platinum Select (in 45-day wait period for Dividend Mastercard World Elite:smileyhappy:) -- AMEX BCE
Established Contributor
eviLution
Posts: 705
Registered: ‎06-11-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!

Hey! you got your old name back slippy! lol


Current Score: DCU EQ 714 - EX+ 746 - WM TU 746
Goal Score: 750+

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 6000 - Chase Freedom: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Contributor
slippy84
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-24-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


L-TWT wrote:

slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy83 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm interested in finding a better rewards credit card than the one I currently have. I don't know if I can get a better one or not but I figured someone would be able to help me out. I'm currently using a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card that I got over 3 years ago. My credit limit is $6k. I don't like how you need to redeem the cashback in increments of $50, and the categories they offer for increased cashback % are rarely things I use. That is my only card that I personally have, but I am an authorized user on 2 credit cards my dad has. The credit limits on those cards are high (22.5k and 30k). The big downside is that I don't have a job! I'm a full time grad student living on student loans. My credit score through Equifax is 760. So is there anything that I can apply for? Or should I stick with what I've got already? Thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!

1st let me say welcome to the forums:smileywink:

What kind of rewards r u interested in? cash back or points? And based upon your credit score, sky is the limit if u do not have any negatives on your report and AAOA is good. I also have a Citi Dividend card that I'm disappointed with, but I was enformed VIA some1 in CitiCard marketing Dept. that there r some good changes coming to the Dividend card in the early part of 2013, so i would just be patient.

 


 

First off, the forums didn't seem to like my old username and made me pick a new one! Oh well

 

Thanks for the reply! I am most interested in cash back rather than gift cards, plane tickets, etc. but would be fine with anything TBH

 

I don't have any negatives. My AAoA is 3 years 6 months.

 

Definitely hoping Citi makes their rewards more attractive. Since I've had my card, it has become even less attractive by only cutting checks in $50 increments


What was your initial username? "HoldyourbreathItWillOnlyHurt4aLittle":smileylol:

But all jokes aside, I perfer cashback as well, I find CC's which offer points to be not too Str8 forward.

I just opened the Cap1 Cash Rewards Visa Sig....it has a $100 initial sign up bonus, one can redeem cash back any time, 50% anniversary bonus, Perk Central shopping portal (which is good for in-store/online purchase) & the most important factor for me, it has no FTF for international travel. In my opinion, it is a very well rounded card and my credit scores r about the same as yours and they started me off with a LARGE initial CL:smileywink:


Haha I'm guessing that's the username for a troll or something? No, my original username was "slippy83" which is what I used to make the original post. Then when I logged back on to respond, the forums told me I needed to pick a username and wouldn't let me pick the same thing!

 

Anyway, thanks for the input about the Cap1 Cash Rewards card! It looks like to me that there are a lot of great options out there that would probably be better for me than my current card. For someone who only charges about $1k per month, how many credit cards do you think it too many? Is 2 too many? 3? I see forum signatures on here with like 10 cards but that seems more for people with real jobs and stuff :smileytongue:


Me personally, I do not believe in having more than 2 CC's, but I needed another CC without a FTF and no AF. My parents started me & my siblings off with established credit when we were young by adding us as AU's, so when we reached 18, we had scores way over 750+. So if  i c someones signature and they have over 10+ CC's I tend to think they were picking up CC's along the way as they established their credit or their ADDICTED. For you will need an Excel spread sheet to keep up with all those CC's :smileylol:


Haha yeah that's true.

 

As an update for my opening post: I applied yesterday for the US Bank Cash+ card. I was told at the branch that their computer system preliminarily approved me for a credit limit of $9500 so I'm assuming that I'll make the cut for the Cash+ (Visa Signature card, so need a credit limit of $5k or more) instead of being downgraded to the Cash Rewards card.

 

Now, I'm currently trying to decide if I should add the Chase Freedom card to get more 5% cashback categories available each quarter

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend Platinum Select (in 45-day wait period for Dividend Mastercard World Elite:smileyhappy:) -- AMEX BCE
Regular Contributor
loviedovie
Posts: 206
Registered: ‎12-20-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!

Congrats slippy!

 

Question for you because I am new and don't know- what is the difference between a signature card and any other card?


Starting Score: EXP 615 | TU 610 | EQ 635
Current Score: EXP 719 (lender pull 10/15) | TU 707 | EQ 700 (lender pull 10/25)
Goal Score: 740
Valued Contributor
creditnocash
Posts: 2,201
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


loviedovie wrote:

Congrats slippy!

 

Question for you because I am new and don't know- what is the difference between a signature card and any other card?


a visa sig or a world elite mastercard is a cc with a credit line greater then 5k usually 

and it has added perks like concierge services and other things (that i dont know off the top of my head)

plus it says signature on the card so id feel special :smileywink:

Current: Discover Fico 689 8/14 Walmart Fico 697 8/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 3 EX 4 | Most Recent: 09/04/2013
2 Inquiries in The Last 12 Months


2014 Goals:
Lower Utility

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
Frequent Contributor
L-TWT
Posts: 290
Registered: ‎12-18-2011
0

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!


slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy84 wrote:

L-TWT wrote:

slippy83 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm interested in finding a better rewards credit card than the one I currently have. I don't know if I can get a better one or not but I figured someone would be able to help me out. I'm currently using a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card that I got over 3 years ago. My credit limit is $6k. I don't like how you need to redeem the cashback in increments of $50, and the categories they offer for increased cashback % are rarely things I use. That is my only card that I personally have, but I am an authorized user on 2 credit cards my dad has. The credit limits on those cards are high (22.5k and 30k). The big downside is that I don't have a job! I'm a full time grad student living on student loans. My credit score through Equifax is 760. So is there anything that I can apply for? Or should I stick with what I've got already? Thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!

1st let me say welcome to the forums:smileywink:

What kind of rewards r u interested in? cash back or points? And based upon your credit score, sky is the limit if u do not have any negatives on your report and AAOA is good. I also have a Citi Dividend card that I'm disappointed with, but I was enformed VIA some1 in CitiCard marketing Dept. that there r some good changes coming to the Dividend card in the early part of 2013, so i would just be patient.

 


 

First off, the forums didn't seem to like my old username and made me pick a new one! Oh well

 

Thanks for the reply! I am most interested in cash back rather than gift cards, plane tickets, etc. but would be fine with anything TBH

 

I don't have any negatives. My AAoA is 3 years 6 months.

 

Definitely hoping Citi makes their rewards more attractive. Since I've had my card, it has become even less attractive by only cutting checks in $50 increments


What was your initial username? "HoldyourbreathItWillOnlyHurt4aLittle":smileylol:

But all jokes aside, I perfer cashback as well, I find CC's which offer points to be not too Str8 forward.

I just opened the Cap1 Cash Rewards Visa Sig....it has a $100 initial sign up bonus, one can redeem cash back any time, 50% anniversary bonus, Perk Central shopping portal (which is good for in-store/online purchase) & the most important factor for me, it has no FTF for international travel. In my opinion, it is a very well rounded card and my credit scores r about the same as yours and they started me off with a LARGE initial CL:smileywink:


Haha I'm guessing that's the username for a troll or something? No, my original username was "slippy83" which is what I used to make the original post. Then when I logged back on to respond, the forums told me I needed to pick a username and wouldn't let me pick the same thing!

 

Anyway, thanks for the input about the Cap1 Cash Rewards card! It looks like to me that there are a lot of great options out there that would probably be better for me than my current card. For someone who only charges about $1k per month, how many credit cards do you think it too many? Is 2 too many? 3? I see forum signatures on here with like 10 cards but that seems more for people with real jobs and stuff :smileytongue:


Me personally, I do not believe in having more than 2 CC's, but I needed another CC without a FTF and no AF. My parents started me & my siblings off with established credit when we were young by adding us as AU's, so when we reached 18, we had scores way over 750+. So if  i c someones signature and they have over 10+ CC's I tend to think they were picking up CC's along the way as they established their credit or their ADDICTED. For you will need an Excel spread sheet to keep up with all those CC's :smileylol:


Haha yeah that's true.

 

As an update for my opening post: I applied yesterday for the US Bank Cash+ card. I was told at the branch that their computer system preliminarily approved me for a credit limit of $9500 so I'm assuming that I'll make the cut for the Cash+ (Visa Signature card, so need a credit limit of $5k or more) instead of being downgraded to the Cash Rewards card.

 

Now, I'm currently trying to decide if I should add the Chase Freedom card to get more 5% cashback categories available each quarter


Congrats on US Bank Cash +, nice card choice. And I'm partial towards anything blue in color, so the Chase Freedom card would complement your portfolio nicely

Portfolio: Amex BCE (21.6k) | Cap1 QS VS (15k) | Citi Dividend WEMC (30K)

"Having a credit card is nice, but cash is king"

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+