Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me pick a better rewards card!

tag
slippy84
Contributor

Re: Help me pick a better rewards card!

@loviedovie wrote:

Oh and just as an FYI- I just read your last post about listing your income as 24k. This is pretty low. 

The branch manager herself filled out my app on her computer and when I told her I was living on federal loans she asked me what the total amount was per year- 60k. 

She listed that as my income and said I would be fine.

(I will hear back in 2 weeks whether I got the card, but since I've been banking with them for 15 years she thinks it is a formality, and your scores are higher than mine so it might be easier even for you.)

So think about it. I don't know a lot about how they determine limits but income I believe is a factor so if you can go with the pre-tuition amount, I would do it. 

Oh interesting. Thanks for sharing! It sounds like we're in similar circumstances. In that case, my "income" would be $40k

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 11 of 26
slippy84
Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm interested in finding a better rewards credit card than the one I currently have. I don't know if I can get a better one or not but I figured someone would be able to help me out. I'm currently using a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card that I got over 3 years ago. My credit limit is $6k. I don't like how you need to redeem the cashback in increments of $50, and the categories they offer for increased cashback % are rarely things I use. That is my only card that I personally have, but I am an authorized user on 2 credit cards my dad has. The credit limits on those cards are high (22.5k and 30k). The big downside is that I don't have a job! I'm a full time grad student living on student loans. My credit score through Equifax is 760. So is there anything that I can apply for? Or should I stick with what I've got already? Thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!

1st let me say welcome to the forumsSmiley Wink

What kind of rewards r u interested in? cash back or points? And based upon your credit score, sky is the limit if u do not have any negatives on your report and AAOA is good. I also have a Citi Dividend card that I'm disappointed with, but I was enformed VIA some1 in CitiCard marketing Dept. that there r some good changes coming to the Dividend card in the early part of 2013, so i would just be patient.

First off, the forums didn't seem to like my old username and made me pick a new one! Oh well

Thanks for the reply! I am most interested in cash back rather than gift cards, plane tickets, etc. but would be fine with anything TBH

I don't have any negatives. My AAoA is 3 years 6 months.

Definitely hoping Citi makes their rewards more attractive. Since I've had my card, it has become even less attractive by only cutting checks in $50 increments

What was your initial username? "HoldyourbreathItWillOnlyHurt4aLittle"Smiley LOL

But all jokes aside, I perfer cashback as well, I find CC's which offer points to be not too Str8 forward.

I just opened the Cap1 Cash Rewards Visa Sig....it has a $100 initial sign up bonus, one can redeem cash back any time, 50% anniversary bonus, Perk Central shopping portal (which is good for in-store/online purchase) & the most important factor for me, it has no FTF for international travel. In my opinion, it is a very well rounded card and my credit scores r about the same as yours and they started me off with a LARGE initial CLSmiley Wink

Haha I'm guessing that's the username for a troll or something? No, my original username was "slippy83" which is what I used to make the original post. Then when I logged back on to respond, the forums told me I needed to pick a username and wouldn't let me pick the same thing!

Anyway, thanks for the input about the Cap1 Cash Rewards card! It looks like to me that there are a lot of great options out there that would probably be better for me than my current card. For someone who only charges about $1k per month, how many credit cards do you think it too many? Is 2 too many? 3? I see forum signatures on here with like 10 cards but that seems more for people with real jobs and stuff Smiley Tongue

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 12 of 26
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

How about the Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa for 2% rewards? If you don't get instantly approved, Barclays is known to be recon friendly.

Great rewards, and an awesome looking card that is a great conversation starter! Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 26
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm interested in finding a better rewards credit card than the one I currently have. I don't know if I can get a better one or not but I figured someone would be able to help me out. I'm currently using a Citi Dividend Platinum Select card that I got over 3 years ago. My credit limit is $6k. I don't like how you need to redeem the cashback in increments of $50, and the categories they offer for increased cashback % are rarely things I use. That is my only card that I personally have, but I am an authorized user on 2 credit cards my dad has. The credit limits on those cards are high (22.5k and 30k). The big downside is that I don't have a job! I'm a full time grad student living on student loans. My credit score through Equifax is 760. So is there anything that I can apply for? Or should I stick with what I've got already? Thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!

What kind of rewards r u interested in? cash back or points? And based upon your credit score, sky is the limit if u do not have any negatives on your report and AAOA is good. I also have a Citi Dividend card that I'm disappointed with, but I was enformed VIA some1 in CitiCard marketing Dept. that there r some good changes coming to the Dividend card in the early part of 2013, so i would just be patient.

First off, the forums didn't seem to like my old username and made me pick a new one! Oh well

Thanks for the reply! I am most interested in cash back rather than gift cards, plane tickets, etc. but would be fine with anything TBH

Definitely hoping Citi makes their rewards more attractive. Since I've had my card, it has become even less attractive by only cutting checks in $50 increments

What was your initial username? "HoldyourbreathItWillOnlyHurt4aLittle"Smiley LOL

But all jokes aside, I perfer cashback as well, I find CC's which offer points to be not too Str8 forward.

I just opened the Cap1 Cash Rewards Visa Sig....it has a $100 initial sign up bonus, one can redeem cash back any time, 50% anniversary bonus, Perk Central shopping portal (which is good for in-store/online purchase) & the most important factor for me, it has no FTF for international travel. In my opinion, it is a very well rounded card and my credit scores r about the same as yours and they started me off with a LARGE initial CLSmiley Wink

Haha I'm guessing that's the username for a troll or something? No, my original username was "slippy83" which is what I used to make the original post. Then when I logged back on to respond, the forums told me I needed to pick a username and wouldn't let me pick the same thing!

Anyway, thanks for the input about the Cap1 Cash Rewards card! It looks like to me that there are a lot of great options out there that would probably be better for me than my current card. For someone who only charges about $1k per month, how many credit cards do you think it too many? Is 2 too many? 3? I see forum signatures on here with like 10 cards but that seems more for people with real jobs and stuff Smiley Tongue

Me personally, I do not believe in having more than 2 CC's, but I needed another CC without a FTF and no AF. My parents started me & my siblings off with established credit when we were young by adding us as AU's, so when we reached 18, we had scores way over 750+. So if  i c someones signature and they have over 10+ CC's I tend to think they were picking up CC's along the way as they established their credit or their ADDICTED. For you will need an Excel spread sheet to keep up with all those CC's Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 26
slippy84
Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

How about the Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa for 2% rewards? If you don't get instantly approved, Barclays is known to be recon friendly.

Great rewards, and an awesome looking card that is a great conversation starter! Smiley LOL

Wow 2% on everything is tempting, but what an ugly card! haha

Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 15 of 26
eviLution
Established Contributor

Hey! you got your old name back slippy! lol

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 16 of 26
slippy84
Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Me personally, I do not believe in having more than 2 CC's, but I needed another CC without a FTF and no AF. My parents started me & my siblings off with established credit when we were young by adding us as AU's, so when we reached 18, we had scores way over 750+. So if  i c someones signature and they have over 10+ CC's I tend to think they were picking up CC's along the way as they established their credit or their ADDICTED. For you will need an Excel spread sheet to keep up with all those CC's Smiley LOL

Haha yeah that's true.

As an update for my opening post: I applied yesterday for the US Bank Cash+ card. I was told at the branch that their computer system preliminarily approved me for a credit limit of $9500 so I'm assuming that I'll make the cut for the Cash+ (Visa Signature card, so need a credit limit of $5k or more) instead of being downgraded to the Cash Rewards card.

Now, I'm currently trying to decide if I should add the Chase Freedom card to get more 5% cashback categories available each quarter

Message 17 of 26
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Congrats slippy!

Question for you because I am new and don't know- what is the difference between a signature card and any other card?

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 26
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@loviedovie wrote:

Congrats slippy!

Question for you because I am new and don't know- what is the difference between a signature card and any other card?

a visa sig or a world elite mastercard is a cc with a credit line greater then 5k usually 

and it has added perks like concierge services and other things (that i dont know off the top of my head)

plus it says signature on the card so id feel special Smiley Wink

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 19 of 26
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Haha yeah that's true.

As an update for my opening post: I applied yesterday for the US Bank Cash+ card. I was told at the branch that their computer system preliminarily approved me for a credit limit of $9500 so I'm assuming that I'll make the cut for the Cash+ (Visa Signature card, so need a credit limit of $5k or more) instead of being downgraded to the Cash Rewards card.

Now, I'm currently trying to decide if I should add the Chase Freedom card to get more 5% cashback categories available each quarter

Congrats on US Bank Cash +, nice card choice. And I'm partial towards anything blue in color, so the Chase Freedom card would complement your portfolio nicely

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.