cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me plan my escape from the garden!

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Help me plan my escape from the garden!

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I wish I could help with your escape but I am forbidden any encouragment for apps by myjourney, Lexie and djc1puno.  Last time that fierce squirrel (yes, the one with the cap) hit me pretty bad in the rear with that bazooka.  Oh, and I can't even begin to tell you what those crocodile bites feel like!  For days on end I had wished that fence had been lower.  Last time, the ERT patrol ran me over, enough to teach me a lesson to stay put no matter how tasty those offers might look.   So, if you apply... best of luck! 

HA! My sympathies, especially for the crocodile bites, which must sting. However, console yourself with the thought that you're serving as an object lesson for others who are tempted by bad company (which is anybody talking about or sending offers for credit cards). You're now the lucky guy who's showing them what happens to those weak fools who stray from the straight and narrow path of the garden.

Y'all funny 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 25
NotUsher
Contributor

Beane,

I was actually looking into my spend at grocery stores to see if the BCP would work. It seems pretty rare that I break $200/mo in groceries. It looks like that's pretty well right at the breakeven point. Any harm in doing BCP for the first year and then downgrading based on spend before the second year's fee?

One other card I've been considering is the Sallie Mae for the Bookstore category. I do a good bit of shopping on Amazon (subscribe and save + random purchases), so I could potentially use that card just for those payments and then free up the Cash+ for both 5% dining categories (restaurants and fast food). Since I already have the Arrival from Barclay, would it be worth trying to go that route?

Message 12 of 25
Beane
Regular Contributor

I can't imagine there would be a problem downgrading after a year. Just realize you lose and promo when you do that (i.e. 15 mo 0‰)

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 13 of 25
Beane
Regular Contributor

Also I think Cash+ has added a $2000 cap on the 5% categories per quarter.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 14 of 25
Beane
Regular Contributor

Just did the math and at 2400 a year you would get $69 cash back with BCP and $72 with BCE taking into account the annual fee

Message 15 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

One thing that pushes the BCP is the fact you can buy gift cards at many supermarkets to other retail stores, restaurants etc.  You can buy those gift cards at effectively a 6%discount, and usually this will allow you to more than reach the $2500 break-even point for BCP vs BCE (and you may well find it easy to use the whole $6k, depending on your spending and the selection.

Against that, you can also buy discounted gift cards on various sites, sometimes at more than a 6% discount (depending on the site, card, and credit card you use) so look at that as well.

Message 16 of 25
Longroad
Established Contributor

You guys need some teenage boys at your house. Seems like $2400 a month in groceries sometimes. BCP is at the top of my wish list for sure
Message 17 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Longroad wrote:
You guys need some teenage boys at your house. Seems like $2400 a month in groceries sometimes. BCP is at the top of my wish list for sure

BCP doesn't really make a big dent with the $6K cap  (saving just $285 a year after the fee).  Get two Sallie Maes, which gives some 5-6% for $12K.  Then there are short-term 5% cards (WF and TD) or  long-term 3% cards.  

Message 18 of 25
Longroad
Established Contributor

That's what I love about this forum. Everyone always has such great ideas. I didn't read the fine print about the $6K cap on BCP. I already have a Sallie Mae just haven't added it to my siggy yet
Message 19 of 25
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

I wish I could help with your escape but I am forbidden any encouragment for apps by myjourney, Lexie and djc1puno.  Last time that fierce squirrel (yes, the one with the cap) hit me pretty bad in the rear with that bazooka.  Oh, and I can't even begin to tell you what those crocodile bites feel like!  For days on end I had wished that fence had been lower.  Last time, the ERT patrol ran me over, enough to teach me a lesson to stay put no matter how tasty those offers might look.   So, if you apply... best of luck! 

brilliant! Smiley Very Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.