Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me seasoned discover cardholders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me seasoned discover cardholders

My 6th discover statement just cut, it's my daily use card right now for its first year. As we all know, discover doesn't make it very easy to track the rewards you're earning. I always end up calculating whatever I earned in the five percent category and adding that with the one percent total.
For the most part, they're dead on accurate with rewards when the statement cuts. However, this month they shorted me $7. $3 from the 1% and $4 from 5%.
I know it's only $7 but still that's $7 I didn't have before and the reason I'm using your card above everyone else's right now!
So I hopped on chat and asked what happened since I've never had this issue before. She calculated what I should have earned and agreed I was short from what my statement had, and that "it might take up until the next statement to accurately post to my account".
Has anyone had this issue before? And if so did they actually credit your account? Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help me seasoned discover cardholders

Its happened to me before and they made good on their promise to adjust it.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My 6th discover statement just cut, it's my daily use card right now for its first year. As we all know, discover doesn't make it very easy to track the rewards you're earning. I always end up calculating whatever I earned in the five percent category and adding that with the one percent total.
For the most part, they're dead on accurate with rewards when the statement cuts. However, this month they shorted me $7. $3 from the 1% and $4 from 5%.
I know it's only $7 but still that's $7 I didn't have before and the reason I'm using your card above everyone else's right now!
So I hopped on chat and asked what happened since I've never had this issue before. She calculated what I should have earned and agreed I was short from what my statement had, and that "it might take up until the next statement to accurately post to my account".
Has anyone had this issue before? And if so did they actually credit your account? Thanks!
I have had it happen before they only credited the account with 1% instead of 5% for a clothing purchase I had to call, the rep checked the company I purchased from and made the correction. The increase showed on the next statement.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok. Makes me feel better, I hate how on top of it you have to stay though. I wish they made their rewards easier! Only gripe with discover so far though. Everything else is excellent
Message 4 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ah ok. Makes me feel better, I hate how on top of it you have to stay though. I wish they made their rewards easier! Only gripe with discover so far though. Everything else is excellent

Yeah, Discover's service is excellent, but their reward tracking is pretty bad. You have to calculate yourself what you are due, or you may not even notice errors because they are not transparent about it.

Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Their rewards tracking does leave a bit to be desired, but just like others have mentioned if you do find a problem they are quick to correct it without making you jump through hoops.

Last fall I used a 'Discover Deal' for the first time with J.C. Penney; I ended up having to do an even-exchange in the store, and the cashier refunded my purchase and re-charged the exact same dollar amount on the next transaction (don't ask me why it was done this way...)  Anyway, the refund transaction caused them to back-out my reward for the Discover Deal so I sent them a secure message explaining what had happened (and how my account reflected my story as well).  The next day I got a message from a Discover CSR apologizing for the problem, and stating that I would see my rewards re-credited on my next statement, which I did.

I would say that their superior CSRs definitely make up for any lack of tracking, and my own 'back-of-the-envelope' math indicates I've been getting what I should, so I'm generally quite pleased with them overall.  That said, if you do notice an 'anomaly', don't hesitate to let them know... they seem to genuinely want to make it right.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I've had it before also, but one thing I can say about them, as they keep there word, or at least try to hold up to it. They are one of the lenders I have high on my "like" list.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.