cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me to understand the SP vs HP obsession?

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: Help me to understand the SP vs HP obsession?

Before I came to this site, I was not even aware sites like this existed. My credit has always been excellent without taking an active role except to make timely payments. Years would pass before I would hear of my credit score while refi'ing my home or whatever.

The most active posters here are those that are building, rebuilding, or trying to improve their score. They are very hands-on and many of their posts speak of being of denied for one reason or another or miraculously approved. HP's are fine if you are approved, but if you are denied, then your score reflects even lower. The chronic app'ers are playing russian roulette. If they succeed in getting a new card, their lot improves, if they fail, they are more likely to fail again and again as their score lowers from too many inquiries. Hence, the Garden which is where most of us belong for months/years at a time. 

I think this site encourages some to seek acceptance or approval of their lifestyle by credit card issuers/banks and fellow forums dwellers. I'm not trying to sound like I know about or how to speak psycho-babble, but reading some threads here, it makes me wonder out loud why they need 10, 20, or more credit cards.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuick wrote:

Before I came to this site, I was not even aware sites like this existed. My credit has always been excellent without taking an active role except to make timely payments. Years would pass before I would hear of my credit score while refi'ing my home or whatever.

The most active posters here are those that are building, rebuilding, or trying to improve their score. They are very hands-on and many of their posts speak of being of denied for one reason or another or miraculously approved. HP's are fine if you are approved, but if you are denied, then your score reflects even lower. The chronic app'ers are playing russian roulette. If they succeed in getting a new card, their lot improves, if they fail, they are more likely to fail again and again as their score lowers from too many inquiries. Hence, the Garden which is where most of us belong for months/years at a time. 

I think this site encourages some to seek acceptance or approval of their lifestyle by credit card issuers/banks and fellow forums dwellers. I'm not trying to sound like I know about or how to speak psycho-babble, but reading some threads here, it makes me wonder out loud why they need 10, 20, or more credit cards.

Maybe this is why...

Message 22 of 25
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@mikemsceo wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Maybe this is why...

Using the above chart shows that more is better with no regard to AAoA? Time plays a such crucial role at improving a credit score. Unless you have a specially equipped DeLorean, you can't mess with time. We all should take an active role in our credit health, just not necessarily a daily role. I know in the few months since coming here, my fico has dropped 10 points. 

My credit report stats show 21 accts with a credit history of 35 years. They include credit of all types, both open and closed. Car loans, credit cards, mortgages, heloc, bank accts with overdraft protection, revolving accts on a single interest-free item, etc. My AAoA is currently only 11 years because I've upgraded to rewards cards in the last couple years. I do have 7 active credit cards of which I carry 4 in my wallet. I still owe on a mortgage and my scores have hovered around 810 for at least the last decade.

Message 23 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@mikemsceo wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I've become much more aware of how important AAoA can be in the long run. I made the mistake earlier of having quantity over quality of cards and realized having too many cards opened in a short period of time can really affect approval chances later on though I'm also aware of how lenders like Citi really care about inquiries made in the last six months.

When you say you made the mistake of, what do you mean?

When you say quality over quantity... what is defineing quality, your credit limit?

I was going to start opening as many cards as possible just so later one my AAOA wouldn't be so wrecked by an approved auto loan

I meant having a few cards with really good rewards as opposed to trying to apply for everything under the sun just for the sake of being approved, especially lots of store cards.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 24 of 25
Involver
Valued Contributor

If I can add a high credit limit tradeline with an EX SP that won't rebucket my AAoA I will take it all day.

If I have to take a HP for it and put it out there for future creditors, I'll think a bit longer about it.

I generally don't shy away from HPs though if the benefit > the "cost".

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.