Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand BT cards?

tag
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Help me understand BT cards?

Hi, 

I'm trying to understand balance transfers. If my current card is over-utilized at $5k, am I (potentially) app'ing for a card with a $5k limit? And the point is, I'd hopefully get a 0% rate for at least a year whilst I pay that balance down to a normal number -- right? or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me understand BT cards?

@hapagrrl wrote:

Hi, 

I'm trying to understand balance transfers. If my current card is over-utilized at $5k, am I (potentially) app'ing for a card with a $5k limit? And the point is, I'd hopefully get a 0% rate for at least a year whilst I pay that balance down to a normal number -- right? or am I thinking about this all wrong?

yes that is how it works but depending on the card there may be  a BT fee of 3-5%, and you most likely won't be able to max out the new card, nor should you go above 85%. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 4
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

yes that is how it works but depending on the card there may be  a BT fee of 3-5%, and you most likely won't be able to max out the new card, nor should you go above 85%. 

So - if I got a new (BT) card with the same limit as my current $5k, it means I'd only be able to transfer a portion of my current balance to that hypothetical new card? 

Also - something else that's messin' with my mind: if I apply for a new card, but my util is at or near 100% - which of course brings down my score - how would I even get approved for a new card?

I'm sorry -- if I sound ditzy and confused, it's because I am! I just can't seem to understand how it all works.. Smiley Sad

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 3 of 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@hapagrrl wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

So - if I got a new (BT) card with the same limit as my current $5k, it means I'd only be able to transfer a portion of my current balance to that hypothetical new card? 

Also - something else that's messin' with my mind: if I apply for a new card, but my util is at or near 100% - which of course brings down my score - how would I even get approved for a new card?

I'm sorry -- if I sound ditzy and confused, it's because I am! I just can't seem to understand how it all works.. Smiley Sad

That is what happens. With high util your chances for approval, or approval with a usable CL decline. I got myself into some trouble about 2 years back when I was in college, and applied for a chase slate to BT some stuff. Got approved for a $500 limit, which was useless to me. 

Part of the reason I applied for the barclay ring card is that it has an 8% APR and no BT fee, so if for some reason anything happens where I need to transfer a balance, I know i can transfer to that with only an 8% APR and no BT fee. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.