Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand USAA??

tag
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

Help me understand USAA??

Thank you all for your advice, and for helping me improve my scores.  OK, so I'm trying to understand USAA.  I am not a full member, grandfathered from an organization (CAP) that was allied with USAA, opened in 02/2013.  I have an affinity M/C.  Credit line is $22K, but the APR is 21.9%.  I've called monthly, but they won't lower the APR.  Anyway, since EQ is my best CR, and I understand they pull EQ, I took a chance at applying for the 9.9% VISA.  Low and behold, approved at 9.9%.  So, I am trying to understand, why would they would approve another card, but not be willing to budge on the account I have??

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me understand USAA??

Not sure why they wouldnt lower it, did you take a HP or did they offer to pull your report to see if they could lower? As for the approval of a new card at 9.9% that would be because its a computer looking at your report, which i think its crazy on how a computer can approve anyone for a card, like i want to know what does the computer see and how it decides.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 6
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

Yes, nicely asked for a supervisor the last three times I called, and they said there was nothing they could do for me...

Message 3 of 6
Ups77
Regular Contributor

I'm a full member but some people say u don't receive the same perks as a full member who knows. Ask to transfer the balance to the new card I've been a member since 97 but I would definetly call customer service is pretty good.

Message 4 of 6
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

OK, so I call customer service.  The CSR tells me that USAA doesn't move credit lines.  The CSR tells me that I would need to do a CLD on the account with the horrible APR, then apply in 180 days for a CLI on the new account.  Has anyone been successful in moving credit lines with USAA??

Message 5 of 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@itguy_65 wrote:

OK, so I call customer service.  The CSR tells me that USAA doesn't move credit lines.  The CSR tells me that I would need to do a CLD on the account with the horrible APR, then apply in 180 days for a CLI on the new account.  Has anyone been successful in moving credit lines with USAA??

Just don't use the high apr card. I do not see the big deal. I called a while back and tried to get my platinum upgraded to a world mc.....they couldn't do it because I had the emv version, so I just asked for a cli on my platinum, which they granted from 7k-13k, then I applied for the world mc, and they matched my 13k cl of my platinum. You have absolutely no reason to touch the high apr card at all.... just use it to help util.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.