Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Help me use my 0% intro offer

I purchased a new laptop with a card that has 0% APR for 12 months and would like to take advantage of this offer. If I make additional purchases in the future with this card how does that affect paying off the laptop purchase, i.e. do I need to PIF to a 0 balance before the intro period ends?

Senior Contributor

Re: Help me use my 0% intro offer

bluedog1 wrote:

I purchased a new laptop with a card that has 0% APR for 12 months and would like to take advantage of this offer. If I make additional purchases in the future with this card how does that affect paying off the laptop purchase, i.e. do I need to PIF to a 0 balance before the intro period ends?

Please clarify.   Is this a store card where you have 12 months of defferred interest on the laptop?  Or is it a CC with 0%APR on purchases for 12 months?

Mega Contributor

bluedog1 wrote:

These kind of offers can be tricky. Usually the promo'd balance get some of the payment and non-promo'd gets some. I would always recommend only charging the promo'd balance and PIF that first before charging anything else.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Regular Contributor

Hi Wolf, it is a BofA credit card with 0% APR on purchases for 12 months.

Mega Contributor

bluedog1 wrote:

In your case all charges are 0% for 12 mos. You have until that 12th month end to PIF your card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Regular Contributor

LS2982 wrote:

bluedog1 wrote:

In your case all charges are 0% for 12 mos. You have until that 12th month end to PIF your card.

Ok great, thanks for your help!

Senior Contributor

bluedog1 wrote:

You can use it for any purchase you want.   Cash advances and Balance Transfer probably don't qualify.    Remember you have to pay the minimum payment each month.  If you don't PIF the statement balance on month 12, interest will start accruing at that point.    But there will be no back interest, so not nearly as dangerous as deffered interest deals.

Mega Contributor

Wolf3 wrote:

bluedog1 wrote:

You can use it for any purchase you want.   Cash advances and Balance Transfer probably don't qualify.    Remember you have to pay the minimum payment each month.  If you don't PIF the statement balance on month 12, interest will start accruing at that point.    But there will be no back interest, so not nearly as dangerous as deffered interest deals.

Very good point. You'll be charged whatever interest on your T & C agreement.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bluedog1 somehting that doesnt have to do with your question. Since I saw that you have BBR MC by BofA. Do you have to have that design?? Or do you have an option to customize like wells fargo cards?? 

Debit cards: Citibank MasterCard, Rabobank VISA, The Bank of Hemet MasterCard, Nordstrom and Target.
Credit cards: Fingerhut FreshStart $180
EQ FICO ---, EX FICO 523, TU FICO 555, (12/01/16) Gardening Since 12/01/16
Equifax, Experian, Transunion, and ChexSystem are FROZEN as of 12/02/16

it all depends on the card sometimes cards will get all back interest if you don't pay it off within the 12 months sometimes it won't all depends on a lot not enough info.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.