Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me with AMEX plan

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help me with AMEX plan

Why do you need a plat card with such a limited income? And I think you should garden 6 months
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang buddy stop applying wow!

Your very commited to getting that card I see but just take a little breather and listen to some of the advice everyone is giving you.  Time is your friend!

Message 12 of 33
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@alakazam wrote:

So guys, I am in the garden for a month. I need a plan to get AMEX. My goal is Platinum (Mercedes co-branded) by April at latest. But I want an AMEX in 2012 for sure. This is why I think it's a good idea to start with the Zync. I just need advice on the timing for the app. Since I have "limited" history I don't know if my EX score is up yet since it hasn't been up for 2 months. I only have a score for EQ since my last app 1 month ago. Please help me form a strategy to get an AMEX by end of the year (when to apply, etc) and to get Platinum as fast as possible. Declared I make slightly less than 30K and pay no rent, below is my history:

4/12 - denied Expedia Citi
4/12 - CapitalOne Platinum $500
4/12 - denied CapitalOne VentureOne (auto)
6/14/2012 - denied AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
6/14/2012 - denied Discover Student
6/14/2012 - TU 658
6/15/2012 - denied AMEX Green (auto)
6/15/2012 - denied AMEX Zync (auto)
6/22/2012 - TU 713
6/25/2012 - denied Bank of the West (but applied on much earlier date)

I never carry a balance on my Cap1 and pay it off several times a month due to the low limit. 

Stop applying. In fact you will not get AMEX in the year of 2012. You did a lot of damage to your CR by applying frequently.

Also what possible reason do you need AMEX Platinum when you have low income?

Message 13 of 33
alakazam
New Contributor

I did stop applying indeed. I hadn't applied for anything since 2009 when I moved back to USA. Too bad I had no card then so no credit was building for 3 years... I just recently found out about the benefits of some CC.

Also, I need the Platinum card for the features. The $450 fee (or $475 for the Mercedes co-branded) is chump change. I do have additional cash income as well.  It's just stupid as I do charges in the high 100's and 1000's on my debit card and it would be usefull to at least get some sort of reward mechanism back. I guess I'll keep waiting and using+refilling my $500 Cap1 every week.

Message 14 of 33
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@alakazam wrote:

I did stop applying indeed. I hadn't applied for anything since 2009 when I moved back to USA. Too bad I had no card then so no credit was building for 3 years... I just recently found out about the benefits of some CC.

Also, I need the Platinum card for the features. The $450 fee (or $475 for the Mercedes co-branded) is chump change. I do have additional cash income as well.  It's just stupid as I do charges in the high 100's and 1000's on my debit card and it would be usefull to at least get some sort of reward mechanism back. I guess I'll keep waiting and using+refilling my $500 Cap1 every week.

As in you will take advantage of Platinum, such as lounge access? Or are you simply in for collecting rewards? You will not be able to offset annual fee if it is later.

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@alakazam wrote:

So guys, I am in the garden for a month. I need a plan to get AMEX. My goal is Platinum (Mercedes co-branded) by April at latest. But I want an AMEX in 2012 for sure. This is why I think it's a good idea to start with the Zync. I just need advice on the timing for the app. Since I have "limited" history I don't know if my EX score is up yet since it hasn't been up for 2 months. I only have a score for EQ since my last app 1 month ago. Please help me form a strategy to get an AMEX by end of the year (when to apply, etc) and to get Platinum as fast as possible. Declared I make slightly less than 30K and pay no rent, below is my history:

4/12 - denied Expedia Citi
4/12 - CapitalOne Platinum $500
4/12 - denied CapitalOne VentureOne (auto)
6/14/2012 - denied AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
6/14/2012 - denied Discover Student
6/14/2012 - TU 658
6/15/2012 - denied AMEX Green (auto)
6/15/2012 - denied AMEX Zync (auto)
6/22/2012 - TU 713
6/25/2012 - denied Bank of the West (but applied on much earlier date)

I never carry a balance on my Cap1 and pay it off several times a month due to the low limit. 

Wait until Jan 13' and go for the Zync, do not app for anything else that would pull EX.

More like wait til August 2013 until all the inquiries are a year old. And your income is way too low for the Platinum. Even if you had stellar credit, you would still be denied for a 30k income. So try to look for a higher income reporting job and you probably need to garden for awhile. From the looks of it, you could probably grow a tree in your garden by the time they will give you a platinum card.

Message 16 of 33
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

+1 

I 100% agree that you NEED to stop applying and grow your history. You need at least 1 year of history in order to show responsibility with payments and the like. I would absolutely agree that you need to start with the Zync (at least 1 yr from now as previously stated) and then go for the platinum if you so choose. I am a college student and make ~15k a year, but I was approved for the Zync due to my great history. I would also suggest getting a store card before the end of the year in order to expand your portfolio a little - shows ability to handle multiple credit lines. Once you get the store card, wait 6 months before applying for the AMEX.

I am confident that you will be able to get the Zync if you get a store card around December (garden till then!!!) and apply around July since most of the Inq wont be hurting your score. Stay strong and keep away from the credit app websites! - out of site, out of mind! 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 17 of 33
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@alakazam wrote:

Not sure of your current situation, but both my wife and I have good career jobs making over 6 figures and I wouldn't even say that the $450-$475 AF is "chump change". Of course peoples perceptions of the dollar and priorities in general are different, but unless I knew for a fact that i could utilize the card in a way to offset that ~$500 AF there would be NO way i would get that card even if i were a millionaire. No need to throw money away to look "cool".

Good luck in whatever you decide, but like everyone else I would suggest stop applying then try the Zync next summer and go from there.

-John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 18 of 33
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@alakazam wrote:

With your profile you might qualify for a secured credit card that will give you rewards. I recommend you check around but the BOA secured card has nice benefits and should unsecure after a year.  

I am not as critical as the others with your applying for additional credit, you just need to do your homework first and only apply for the credit you have a shot at obtaining. You don't stand a chance with Amex at the moment. You need to build a good history with two to three cards before going after Amex.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 19 of 33
Jlu
Established Contributor

OP: No offense but I would not consider 2% of my annual income to be 'chump change'.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.