Reply
Established Contributor
Jlu
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎06-12-2012

Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

Okay so she is 21 and didn't have any credit when I met her. When we started dating I pulled her CR and she had 1 CA that I DV'd for her and it was subsequently  deleted (yay me). I added her as an AU (I know, I know but it's only a $750 limit) to my Cap1 that has $0 balance and positive history for 1 year and 8 months. I also had her open some store cards a few months ago (Old Navy, Express, Kay Jewelers) - her utilitization is under 10%. She was just approved for a Discover More with a $1k limit.

 

Her scores are: 

 

TU FICO 704

EQ FICO 700

EX FAKO 690

 

She is traveling to Kansas from Boston in May of 2013 and I'd like her to not have to pay for it. I believe this is possible because we run $2-4k/mo thru CC's and PIF. We could charge about $25k between now and her trip. 

 

I was thinking AMEX SPG would be the best card but I think her file might be too thin.

 

What do you guys think?

Wallet: JP Morgan Select Visa Signature $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature $5700 | AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card | Barclaycard Visa $5k | Discover IT $10k | Chase Freedom Visa $3k | Capital One Quicksilver $3k | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $8k | Walmart Store $5k | Amazon Store $10k | Chase Total Checking |
Established Contributor
jamie123
Posts: 712
Registered: ‎03-22-2012

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

I think her file might be too thin for the SPG right now.

 

What you might consider doing is apply for the Zync and then if she is approved for that with NPSL you could then immediately apply for the SPG. This way she might get the Zync at least with a HP. The SPG if denied won't be a HP. It would be beneficial for her to get a start with AMEX anyway even if it is only a Zync.

 

Okay...I'm not sure about this so maybe an AMEX user could correct me if I'm wrong.

 

If you are approved for the Zync but denied the SPG, you could use the Zync to build points and then re-apply for the SPG in 6 months. If you are approved at that point you might be able to transfer points.? Are points transferable from a charge to a revolver?



Starting Score: EQ 658 6/18/12
Current Score: EQ 680 9/23/13
Goal Score: EQ 720+
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)


Jlu wrote:

Okay so she is 21 and didn't have any credit when I met her. When we started dating I pulled her CR and she had 1 CA that I DV'd for her and it was subsequently  deleted (yay me). I added her as an AU (I know, I know but it's only a $750 limit) to my Cap1 that has $0 balance and positive history for 1 year and 8 months. I also had her open some store cards a few months ago (Old Navy, Express, Kay Jewelers) - her utilitization is under 10%. She was just approved for a Discover More with a $1k limit.

 

Her scores are: 

 

TU FICO 704

EQ FICO 700

EX FAKO 690

 

She is traveling to Kansas from Boston in May of 2013 and I'd like her to not have to pay for it. I believe this is possible because we run $2-4k/mo thru CC's and PIF. We could charge about $25k between now and her trip. 

 

I was thinking AMEX SPG would be the best card but I think her file might be too thin.

 

What do you guys think?


I agree her file may be too thin. You may just have to grunt it out and gain more age on those accounts then go for it next year.

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Established Contributor
Jlu
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎06-12-2012

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

[ Edited ]

jamie123 wrote:

I think her file might be too thin for the SPG right now.

 

What you might consider doing is apply for the Zync and then if she is approved for that with NPSL you could then immediately apply for the SPG. This way she might get the Zync at least with a HP. The SPG if denied won't be a HP. It would be beneficial for her to get a start with AMEX anyway even if it is only a Zync.

 

Okay...I'm not sure about this so maybe an AMEX user could correct me if I'm wrong.

 

If you are approved for the Zync but denied the SPG, you could use the Zync to build points and then re-apply for the SPG in 6 months. If you are approved at that point you might be able to transfer points.? Are points transferable from a charge to a revolver?


I would like to know the answer to this as well.

 

But yeah, that 30k bonus points from SPG is very attractive. Once her Discover shows up I'm going to app her for Zync and then try for SPG because I do want her in with AMEX.

Wallet: JP Morgan Select Visa Signature $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature $5700 | AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card | Barclaycard Visa $5k | Discover IT $10k | Chase Freedom Visa $3k | Capital One Quicksilver $3k | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $8k | Walmart Store $5k | Amazon Store $10k | Chase Total Checking |
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)


Jlu wrote:

jamie123 wrote:

I think her file might be too thin for the SPG right now.

 

What you might consider doing is apply for the Zync and then if she is approved for that with NPSL you could then immediately apply for the SPG. This way she might get the Zync at least with a HP. The SPG if denied won't be a HP. It would be beneficial for her to get a start with AMEX anyway even if it is only a Zync.

 

Okay...I'm not sure about this so maybe an AMEX user could correct me if I'm wrong.

 

If you are approved for the Zync but denied the SPG, you could use the Zync to build points and then re-apply for the SPG in 6 months. If you are approved at that point you might be able to transfer points.? Are points transferable from a charge to a revolver?


I would like to know the answer to this as well.

 

But yeah, that 30k bonus points from SPG is very attractive. Once her Discover shows up I'm going to app her for Zync and then try for SPG because I do want her in with AMEX.


Is this something she wants?? I know your looking at her best interests but apping on behalf on someone without their consent isnt looked at nicely here. (don't take offense to this please, im sure your trying to help but make sure she's all in for it as well)

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Moderator
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)


LS2982 wrote:

Jlu wrote:

jamie123 wrote:

I think her file might be too thin for the SPG right now.

 

What you might consider doing is apply for the Zync and then if she is approved for that with NPSL you could then immediately apply for the SPG. This way she might get the Zync at least with a HP. The SPG if denied won't be a HP. It would be beneficial for her to get a start with AMEX anyway even if it is only a Zync.

 

Okay...I'm not sure about this so maybe an AMEX user could correct me if I'm wrong.

 

If you are approved for the Zync but denied the SPG, you could use the Zync to build points and then re-apply for the SPG in 6 months. If you are approved at that point you might be able to transfer points.? Are points transferable from a charge to a revolver?


I would like to know the answer to this as well.

 

But yeah, that 30k bonus points from SPG is very attractive. Once her Discover shows up I'm going to app her for Zync and then try for SPG because I do want her in with AMEX.


Is this something she wants?? I know your looking at her best interests but apping on behalf on someone without their consent isnt looked at nicely here. (don't take offense to this please, im sure your trying to help but make sure she's all in for it as well)

 


 

Agree with this. Ramping up someones portfolio can be a very bad idea especially if they aren't used to managing multiple accounts. You could be doing a lot of damage to her long term by getting her these cards. And agree with LS comment ts concerning consent. Best to let her do the apping or she will resent you later on for pushing this too hard.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
bichonmom
Posts: 3,306
Registered: ‎05-05-2011

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

I don't think she would be approved for Amex at this point. Also, getting all those store cards lowered her AAOA.. Amex is going to want to see at least a year with a couple of positive, open TLs. What if you just use one of your cards for her ticket?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Established Contributor
Jlu
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎06-12-2012

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

[ Edited ]

No guys, she is completely on board with this. I've taught her what I've learned (mostly from here) and she is excited to build her credit.

 

In fact she is teasing me about having a higher score than me.

 

And I was thinking about using my Freedom and then transfering the points to a CSP when I get approved next year. Then I could transfer to a partner airline and maximize my UR points.

Wallet: JP Morgan Select Visa Signature $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature $5700 | AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card | Barclaycard Visa $5k | Discover IT $10k | Chase Freedom Visa $3k | Capital One Quicksilver $3k | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $8k | Walmart Store $5k | Amazon Store $10k | Chase Total Checking |
Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 3,915
Registered: ‎02-23-2011

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

One major obstacle here is that without an existing CL of $5k, many of the better travel rewards card (such as Visa Sig, WMC, etc...) will be rejected automatically by the computer approval system.

 

With a thin file, it takes some effort to find the first issuer willing to extend the first $5K + line.  After her Discover posts and is reporting (make sure it is reporting on Ex), then I'd app for the Zync and SPG simultaneously.  She'll be approved for the former, but maybe not the latter, but you never know.  I firmly believe it's worthwhile to take a shot, especially when it's with the same inquiry.

 

Good luck!

Moderator
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)


Jlu wrote:

No guys, she is completely on board with this. I've taught her what I've learned (mostly from here) and she is excited to build her credit.

 

In fact she is teasing me about having a higher score than me.


 

That's good to hear! Let her pull the trigger then! I still think an amex charge card such as PRG will help her.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+