Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help obtaining New Credit Cards

tag
Ewalker33
New Contributor

Help obtaining New Credit Cards

I have tried the "Shopping Cart Trick" but somehow ended up with HP inquiries. I now have a total of 10 inquiries, but I was told that I need more revolving accounts to help with my credit score. I have a EQ Fico of 624. Any tips on what cards I can get? I've already been denied by Cap1, Barclays, Credit One, and Best buys.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GooseGirl
Contributor

Re: Help obtaining New Credit Cards

You can add 1 or 2 secured cards. BoA has a good one and it will eventually graduate to an unsecured card. SDFCU is another good option because they don't do a HP for their product.

Starting Score: EQ 541 (lender pull July 2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO 673, TU08 648, EX FICO 654
Next Goal Score: 680
Message 2 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Do you have any credit cards.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

what "shopping cart tricks did you do? what hp's did you get? any cards from that? something went wrong here!

do you have any other cards currently?

what baddies?

Message 4 of 10
Ewalker33
New Contributor

I currently have one Capital One card with a $300 limit. I tried the shopping cart trick with Buckle and they did a HP and I was denied, but when I received the letter in the mail I called them and they approved me for a CL of $250. I was pre-qualified for another CAP1 card and Barclays, but was denied when I applied. I am rebuilding my credit at the moment with late payments and a BK on my report.

Message 5 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Ewalker33 wrote:

I've already been denied by Cap1, Barclays, Credit One, and Best buys.

Don't just randomly apply.  What are the reasons for denial?  Use those as a guide to determine what you need to do since they point out the concerns that creditors have with your credit.  It's possible that you may need to look into secured or credit unions with more lax approval criteria.  You may also need to just put in some time and responsible usage with what you have.

@Ewalker33 wrote:

I now have a total of 10 inquiries

How many with each CRA and how old is each?

@Ewalker33 wrote:

I am rebuilding my credit at the moment with late payments and a BK on my report.

Definitely visit the Rebuilding subforum and see if you can address your lates.

Message 6 of 10
Ewalker33
New Contributor

I just got off the phone with Barclays about the denial and they reversed the decision and approved me with a $500 CL. They said that I was denied because of the BK. What is CRA?

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Ewalker33 wrote:

I just got off the phone with Barclays about the denial and they reversed the decision and approved me with a $500 CL. They said that I was denied because of the BK. What is CRA?

Credit Reporting Agency.

Very nice work with the recons, now you will need to just garden those for awhile.  Let them age like a fine wine and you will be in much better shape on future credit considerations.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 10
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

treat barclay right and they will treat you right....mine went from 1300 on one card to 2000 split bewteen 2 cards

Message 9 of 10
Ewalker33
New Contributor

Nice! Yeah they said that it shouldn't take me too long to get a CL increase considering I am in good standing with my other card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.