Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on First Card Please

tag
Tg123
Regular Contributor

Help on First Card Please

Hi All, 

I hope everyone's new year is off to a good start! I am looking for some assistance for my sister. She is in Med school and has been asking for a couple months now on starting her credit profile. She has about 100K in loans already and has a Macy's and TJMAX card. She doesn't really use them. Her score on credit karma is 730. 100% on time payments. AAoA is 1 year 9 months. Total accounts are 7. And 2 Hard pulls a year ago. She is looking for something to build her profile and would be paying it off every month. Her income based on loans and scholarships is around $60k. I would appreciate any and all advice in helping her build her credit score!

Forward, Zync, Freedom, BofA Cash Rewards

Current Score: 738 BOA Experian (5/29/2012)

GOAL: 800s
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Plasticard
New Contributor

Re: Help on First Card Please

Hi Tg123, I'd recommend getting maybe a Discover It to start or maybe a Chase Freedom. Since she already has some history and a good score, she should have a decent shot at the cards. Or she can always get one from her bank to start as well. 

Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

My vote is for a credit union for larger CL. Also BoA if she doesn't get approved at least she may be offered a secured card that will unsecure after awhile. if she's still in school go for the Discover if denied recon for the student card. IMHO don't apply for Cap1 three hard pulls for an almost certain toy limit.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
Tg123
Regular Contributor

I was thinking Chase Freedom as well. They were one of the first cards to give me a decent limit (3k) without much trouble. I did start with a citi forward card and was also thinking about that for her?

Message 4 of 7
Tg123
Regular Contributor

I am a member of PenFed. Do you think she has a chance with them?

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Tg123 wrote:

I am a member of PenFed. Do you think she has a chance with them?

They're a little more on the conservative end and would probably want more revolving, bank card history.  Not sure about her overal SL debt load or if those are deferred.

Message 6 of 7
samm90
New Contributor

Discover it and/or chase freedom get my vote too
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.