Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on my next move

tag
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Help on my next move

Hello everyone!

i want to say thank you in advance for all your helpful comments. I look up to you guys Smiley Happy

I have a couple of things I need help with.

First, I am currently an authorized user on my mother's Macy's revolving card (not visa or anything) and she has gone over her credit limit, I really want to be removed from the card because of this....however I am afraid it will hurt my credit score because of the history. It says that I have had credit with this for over 7 years ( even though I'm only 20) 

my other credit cards are as followed capital one secured card- limit of 200 opened 1 year and 11 months, chase freedom- 3000 limit, opened 11 months, Bank of America-500 limit 11 months, and nordstroms- 750 limit Opened 6 months ago.  mycreditinform says my aaoa is 1 year and 9 months. Will removing myself from my mother's card lower my score?  I think that her card is hurting me more than helping because it shows that I am over my cl....but I don't know that as a fact... any ideas?

I am asking all of this because once my 2 inquiries from chase and bank of america cc's fall off next month I want to apply for Amex blue cash preferred and/or chase sapphire preferred. And That brings me to my next dilemma....do I have any chance of even being approved for these two cards? I am afraid that because I don't have a cc with a cl more than 5000 I won't be approved for csp and Amex just seems soo scary to me lol I don't know to think. Would chase consider me at all? I also bank with them, which is why I believe I was given a relatively good cl on the freedom....But that isn't a fact or anything. 

Also which card is better? Or should I apply for both. I want the csp because it has no foreign transaction fees and I go to Costa Rica at least once a year. And I wanted the bcp  because of the 6% on groceries. personal experience greatly appreciated...

a little more about my credit. I pay each card in full every month....most of my charges being on the freedom. I recently leased a new car in July. I make around 35000 a year, guessing conservatively. Mycreditinform says my scores is currently 695 however this site is usually 25 ish points lower that my true fico scores...from what I've seen in the past....however credit karma also says my score is 679. 

so to sum it all up

1. Will being removed from my mom's Macy's card help or hurt me?

2. Do I have any chance being approved for bcp or csp?

3. Should I apply for both or just one Of the two cards....and if one, which would you suggest?

thanks sooooo much guys

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Help on my next move

@kwinks wrote:

so to sum it all up

3. Should I apply for both or just one Of the two cards....and if one, which would you suggest?

thanks sooooo much guys

Your AAoA isn't that high to begin with.  Taking yoursefl off your mom's card won't impact it all that much.  You'll go from 1 yr, 9 months to something like a 1 yr.

I can only answer #1.  I think it can only help you...you never want to be associated with a card that's over the limit.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 5
Stephen_Dashman
Contributor

so to sum it all up

thanks sooooo much guys

Hello,

1. You probably signed on with your mom as a minor around age 13 or 14? I think getting out would definitely help. If you get yourself off the account and you have to recon for a card you can explain that it was a joint account that your mom charged up and that's why your no longer on it.

2. I would think you'd have a better chance with the bcp

3. I'm sure some others here would have a better idea of what might qualify for each of them, but I would think probably do the bcp for now - get out that joint account with your mom first though Smiley Wink

good luck

EX 690 (Credit.com 6/14) | EQ 673 (DCU 6/14) | TU 705 (Walmart 7/14)

BofA BB Rewards 4000 | Walmart Discover 4000 | AMEX BCE 3400 | DCU Visa Platinum 3200 | Affinity Plus Visa Rewards 3000 | Capital One Cash Rewards 1500 | NTB Card 700

Message 3 of 5
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for the advice....do you think it would still remain on my credit report even if I was only an authorized user?

Message 4 of 5
mirachi
Regular Contributor

Not sure how much weight Chase put into my other factors but income-wise you are good enough for CSP (well technically I'm really basing on their CS but more research suggests that the requirements for both are the same).

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.