Re: Help reading my CSP UR statement

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

How much is 1 point worth on CSP?

That really depends on how you redeem it. I've seen anything from 1.25-10 cents

Sadly I've seen it go for just 1ccp.

A friend was all excited telling everyone at the dinner table about how she redeemed almost 1.5k worth of cashback from her CSP........ The setting however wasn't appropriate for me to explain to her about why that was a bad decision...

Don't understand.  Isn't it always appropriate in such situations to scream "You [expletive] [expletive] stupid idiot!  I am ashamed to be the same species as you"?

That's what I do.

lol, one would think if the person brought up the brag on the cashback it might be the appropriate place to educate them on a better way? That's a lot of cash back for folk like me. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

A friend was all excited telling everyone at the dinner table about how she redeemed almost 1.5k worth of cashback from her CSP........ The setting however wasn't appropriate for me to explain to her about why that was a bad decision...

Hah. Last night, I saw someone load $40 in cash to a VR at CVS. So she essentially paid a 10% fee for no points. My head almost exploded. 

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 12 of 18
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

O.M.G "Warning, going off topic" 

This reminds me of just two day ago, I was at a coworkers new home he just closed on, and while we were talking he let me in on his little "secret". "To make our credit history look longer my wife and I closed all of our credit card accounts that were under 5 years old! I can't believe no one knows about this!" I just didn't have the heart to tell him........

Message 13 of 18
Stralem
Established Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:
"To make our credit history look longer my wife and I closed all of our credit card accounts that were under 5 years old! I can't believe no one knows about this!"

What is this I don't even...

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 14 of 18
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

This reminds me of just two day ago, I was at a coworkers new home he just closed on, and while we were talking he let me in on his little "secret". "To make our credit history look longer my wife and I closed all of our credit card accounts that were under 5 years old! I can't believe no one knows about this!" I just didn't have the heart to tell him........

Wait, hold on. Isn't he right? Assuming (hypothetically) his AAoA is 10 years. Closing credit card accounts that are under 10 years old will make his AAoA even higher in ten years when those cards fall off the report. Also assuming he has low UTIL, he's correct.

Message 15 of 18
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

Don't understand.  Isn't it always appropriate in such situations to scream "You [expletive] [expletive] stupid idiot!  I am ashamed to be the same species as you"?

That's what I do.

lol'ed

FICO Scores 800+
Message 16 of 18
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

Wait, hold on. Isn't he right? Assuming (hypothetically) his AAoA is 10 years. Closing credit card accounts that are under 10 years old will make his AAoA even higher in ten years when those cards fall off the report. Also assuming he has low UTIL, he's correct.

Pretty sure the guy was referring to the present-tense.  He probably wanted to lengthen his AAoA to get a better rate on the mortgage.  As far as your assumption, that only holds if said person doesn't open any more new accounts.  With fewer data points available, new accounts will have more of an effect on AAoA.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 17 of 18
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@Lin55 wrote:

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

Pretty sure the guy was referring to the present-tense.  He probably wanted to lengthen his AAoA to get a better rate on the mortgage.  As far as your assumption, that only holds if said person doesn't open any more new accounts.  With fewer data points available, new accounts will have more of an effect on AAoA.

gotcha...

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.