cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help regarding "Over Credit Limit" with Discover it!

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Help regarding "Over Credit Limit" with Discover it!

Hi guys, I am new here! Having been digging tons of useful information and advice from here, I am really appreciated all the help from the forum.

I am new to credit card (in U.S.). I just got Discover it ($500)  and Chase Freedom ($600) a week ago, due to my zero credit history here. Since it is holiday season, I plan to do several large purchase online. You know the problem, my very crappy credit limit. So I talked to discover and they told me that I can indeed pre-transfer some money from my bank to Discover and make large purchase, around $2200 dollars. Here is my concern. The Discover guy say that if I transfer cash from my bank in advance, I will not be considered over credit limit with them. But they can not gurantee no damage with the credit bureaus. 

I have enough to pay my bills in full, and plan to pay in full with all my purchase, but I just want the 5% cash back from the card, so will this be considered as over limit? If so, how will this damage my credit scores since I am still a thin file, I suppose.

Thanks guys! Please give me some advice~ XD

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Help regarding "Over Credit Limit" with Discover it!

Hey there, if I were you, I'd send them a big payment early, and once I see it all post to the CC, then make my purchases. For example, if you plan to buy 1500 worth of stuff on a 500 limit card, send them a payment for 1500, once you see your balance on Online Banking show -1,500, you're good to go, as any purchases you make will eat out of your negative balance, instead of adding a positive balance =)

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 2 of 10
chwebb1
Established Contributor

When I asked Discover a similar question (if I could prepay to be able to charge over my CL), they told me no. Seems weird that they're letting you do it. Or maybe the rep misunderstood my question?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 3 of 10
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Thanks for replying

Message 4 of 10
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

They are quite sure that I can pay in advance to let the balance to be "-" , using bank or go to Sears department store to transfer money (sounds weird, I konw)

Message 5 of 10
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@DavidZeng wrote:

They are quite sure that I can pay in advance to let the balance to be "-" , using bank or go to Sears department store to transfer money (sounds weird, I konw)

Maybe I got a new person when I called or something.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
Message 6 of 10
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

They also told me that the over  flow part of my credit will be return to me in check if I did not spent them in 2 months.

Message 7 of 10
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I think Discover might hate me. When I asked them that same question, they said that they may decline the payment from my bank. They also didn't give me any auto-luv or luv in general when I asked for a CLI at 3 months.

Also, the only card that I have that 'advertises' the prepay balance feature is my Amex. When I pay over my balance, my credit increases over my CL. But then again, the CL on their card is more of a suggestion: I've tested spending on the card for $2000 over my CL, and it would approve me to spend that too.

Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

correct, just send the payment from your bank... Discover won't reject it.

Probably true they will send you check if you don't spend it in a certain time.

The person probably told you they can't help damage to credit that it may report your highest balance on credit report of $2k something on a $500 limit but after 1 month even if that did hurt you it would probably help you after that... I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 9 of 10
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Yes, anyway I'll pay in full. the 500 limit on my card is really too low, I love to pay off the balance as soon as appeared on my card. Hope discover guy will raise my limit in 3 months.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.