Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help understanding Citi student card denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help understanding Citi student card denial

I was recently denied by Citi for their Platinum Select Visa Card for College Students. They pulled my Experian information. The email I received said by credit score was 600. That score worries me, but since I've never had any chances to build credit, I'm not entirely surprised. (Please tell me if I'm wrong about that!)

Citi gave me the following 4 reasons why they denied my application:

• Length of time accounts have been established on your credit report.
  • There is a lack of recent revolving account information on your credit report.
  • Your credit report shows proportion of loan balance to loan amounts is too high.
  • There is a lack of recent bank/national revolving information on your credit report.

I imagine the first two are about my lack of credit history. What I need help understanding is the last two. Does the third one mean they denied me because I have student loans? Because that, to me, seems like a pretty crazy reason to deny a student for a student credit card. Is it possible that my credit score is being hurt by the fact that my parent couldn't take out PLUS loans for me, so I had to bear the full costs of higher education?

The last one sounds to me like they're saying I don't have enough activity in my bank account, but I'm not sure. I do have a part-time job, so there is plenty of activity in my bank account. So I imagine my assumption here is wrong.

Anyways, did I apply for the wrong card? I did my research and most people were recommending the Platinum Select or the Forward card for college students with little to no credit. Should I apply for the Forward card, or would applying for two credit cards in a short amount of time look desperate?

My last-resort option is to switch to a local credit union and apply for a credit card with them. It's my 'last-resort option,' because switching banks is a hassle and I was hoping to get approved for a card as soon as possible, since this is the time where security deposits need to be made on apartments around campus. I would like to put my books on a credit card, so I don't have to completely deplete my bank account right at the beginning of the new quarter.

Edit: Lastly, I checked my Experian credit report. I'm in good standing on my two accounts and have no "Potentially Negative Items."

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help understanding Citi student card denial

Citi just shot me down for a Forward student card, and I have decent income and my scores aren't terrible. So.. I would wait. Personally I don't plan to apply agian for another year with them.

The third one should be exactly what it sounds like - not enough of your loans are paid off. It does seem like an odd reason to deny you for a student card - but it is Citi.

The fourth one means you don't have enough revolving tradelines (credit cards or lines of credit) showing up on your credit report.

I do find it odd that they're that strict about student card applications, you'd think they'd be more lenient.

If you don't have any current credit cards open, you'll have a hard time qualifying for most cards. As much as I hate to suggest it, you might want to look into the Journey card from Capital One. It's meant for students and last I checked I think it was one of the few that didn't have an annual fee. I doubt it'll ever get a high CL, but at least you can start estabilishing your credit better.

I would however read reviews on it first before you apply, and keep in mind they'll probably pull all 3.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.