Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Amex charge card

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Help with Amex charge card

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everybody for the advice. Cutting it close is what I was worried about. I think I'll use my revolvers instead. Just for reference, is it 30 days to pay for Amex charge cards after the statement?

Yep, the easy way to remember it is that you need to have the bill paid before the next statement generates (whatever date that is). 

They put a "Please Pay By" date on charge card statements, but it's said to be more of a guide than a due date.  What you don't want to happen is to get a statement with a previous balance due - that's bad.  Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everybody for the advice. Cutting it close is what I was worried about. I think I'll use my revolvers instead. Just for reference, is it 30 days to pay for Amex charge cards after the statement?

In my experience it's less than 30 days. My latest statement on the PRG cut on June 18th (it might have been the 17th), and they gave me till July 3rd to pay it in full. So that's 15 days.

It might be that my PRG is quite new (since April), and so the time given is shorter. (In other words, your mileage may vary on this.) But it doesn't seem like it's 30 days in all cases.

Message 12 of 23
ddemari
Super Contributor

Op, I want to make sure I understand your post right. Just want to put a charge on your amex for a medical expense that is large and you are going to be able to pay it off the next month?

my card closed on the 19th of each month and the due date is the 3rd. So if I put the large charge on my card on the 10th of that month and the statement closed with that balance, i would have to pay it by the 3rd. Roughly 2 weeks after the statement closes. So if you can pay it all off in that time frame. then I would check your spend ability and if its within the terms. i'd charge it to amex to build up your spend ability with them. 

Message 13 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@tridente

The PRG doesn't have a due date.

It has a "please pay by" date. Since my first statement.

That is NOT the due date, if you want the analogue to the credit cards like BCE.

It's a legacy where they wanted you to snail mail the payment by that day so that it reached them by the next statement day.

Otherwise, just make sure you pay off the previous statement balance in full before the new statement is generated. To be safe, I use a 25 day cutoff in the auto payment.

Message 14 of 23
ddemari
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous

That is NOT the due date, if you want the analogue to the credit cards like BCE.

It's a legacy where they wanted you to snail mail the payment by that day so that it reached them by the next statement day.

Otherwise, just make sure you pay off the previous statement balance in full before the new statement is generated. To be safe, I use a 25 day cutoff in the auto payment.

this never clicked in my head that all they want is the payment before the next statement. makes sense! but its their payment due upon and please pay day that locks in my head i have to have it paid by the 3. now i know its due before 19th. Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 8.24.31 PM.png

Message 15 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous

+1  ^^^ This exactly.

I did a poor job of explaning this in my previous post, but this is spot-on.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome I think I got it down now. I thought of a tricky way to have my cake and eat it too. I am going to charge to my Amex charge card, if I am getting too close for comfort to the due date and no stipend yet I am going to balance transfer to my Capital One that closes at the end of the month. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous

Wow, I had absolutely no idea this was the case. Thanks for the lesson, Ghoshida!

Edited to Add: Oh and I just realized I didn't read your post carefully enough, UncleB! Sorry!

Message 18 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome I think I got it down now. I thought of a tricky way to have my cake and eat it too. I am going to charge to my Amex charge card, if I am getting too close for comfort to the due date and no stipend yet I am going to balance transfer to my Capital One that closes at the end of the month. Smiley Wink

While many balance transfers happen within a few days, some take a long time (2-3 weeks even). I would not get close to less than a week from next statement and then try for a BT. 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While many balance transfers happen within a few days, some take a long time (2-3 weeks even). I would not get close to less than a week from next statement and then try for a BT. 

Ghoshida is right. Although, I must say that I was surprisingly impressed at how fast Capital One processed DH's recent balance transfers. They were done within days. It's the fastest I've ever seen. Best of luck OPSmiley Happy!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.