Did you mean: 

Help with Hotel Rewards!

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with Hotel Rewards!

@Anonymous wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I do travel extensively. My biggest spend is travel because I live two hours away from my school and have to go to class. So I'm trying to see if there are ways I can maximize all the programs or if it's best to scale back

You definitely should look into AirBNB. My friend took my advice, and strictly used airBNB for his masters program, saved him several grand. They are much cheaper than hotels. You wouldn't earn the miles of course. But the savings is better than staying and earning.

This is becoming less and less true as cities are leveling the playing field by levying occupancy taxes on AirBNBs the same as they do on hotels and motels - and as AirBNBs in popular locations are beginning to charge just as much as hotels (and sometimes more than motels). I have stayed at AirBNBs during my Europe trip and the experience was less than pleasant. Plus they tack on cleaning fees, sometimes hosts aren't willing to meet you at your time table (I can get to a hotel anytime I want and if the room isn't ready, they will hold my luggage), and hosts are often not accessible when there's a problem. I would much rather find an inexpensive hotel or motel deal.

Message 11 of 13
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Yeah plus that seems like a lot of money to spend on something that wouldn't yield any rewards. I'm thinking perhaps stay with Hilton because I have the card, Hyatt to transfer UR to, and SPG because even tho the points are slow, I get 10% cash back on my BofA card
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 13
icyhot
Valued Contributor

And have Choice and Marriott on standby if nothing else is available
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.