cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a Merchant Dispute: What to do?

tag
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Help with a Merchant Dispute: What to do?

Hi, I am in the middle of a dispute with a merchant. Long story short, the merchant's service that I purchased was not as advertised and wholely inadequate. Pursuant to their Terms and Conditions, I submitted all the requested documents and reasoning for why I wished for a full refund. 

The merchant first tried to offer me a 50% refund, which I declined and then threatened to get my credit card company involved. After this, they requested more documentation from me, which I provided. After a week of silence, I initiated a dispute with Discover over the charges.

However, the merchant contacted me today and they are now willing to offer me a 70% refund and they would like to hear my response 'soon'. Obviously, I'm not satisfied with 70%; the service they rendered for me was completely worthless and not as advertised. I feel completely cheated.

I've provided all the correspondences and documentation that I can for Discover. But as of now, the dispute is still "pending". What should I do? I've heard both good and bad experiences with Discover's attitude toward disputed charges.

I'm kicking myself over not using my American Express with this transaction. Only reason I didn't was because it invovled Dollar -> Euro, so I used my Discover for the 0% FTF.

Should I take the 70% refund, or should I respond to the merchant and demand a 100% refund, and/or hold out and wait for Discover's response? How long does Discover usually take? 

In total, the charge is only about $250. So it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I still don't like being taken advantage of. I was thinking of responding to the merchant and again demanding a full refund. If they refuse, I will at least have the 70% refund to fall back on. If they don't honor it afterwards, hopefully Discover will at least do that...

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with a Merchant Dispute: What to do?

Personally i wouldnt settle for the 70% i too dont like being wronged. Also just because 1 person doesnt win a dispute with Discover doesnt mean we are all are going to lose disputes. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.