cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with rebuilding credit

tag
FicoJeff

Help with rebuilding credit

Hello, I'm rebuilding my credit, taking baby steps here. My FICO score is 709, I have a bankruptcy in 2006.  I have one MasterCard with a $500 limit and one store card with a $300 limit. To raise my credit score should I not go over 20% or 30% of my available limit? Should I pay the balances in full each month or carry small balance each month? Thanks very much. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
hot4u
Established Contributor

Re: Help with rebuilding credit

Welcome aboard.

Since you have two cards

What's reccomended is have only one account showing a balance .. no more than 9%

Other pay before closing to show 0 balance.

Rotate between the cards.

While your in what they call Bk mode Don't sweat it out -

you will see your score hit a peak and won't go any higher.

As your accounts Age with time you will see changes in your scores as you move from one score card to next level.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 2 of 5
FicoJeff

Thanks so very much hot4u Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Hello and welcome!!

I don't know how much of this will help, but it is good reading: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p...

Best of luck to you!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 5
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Fastest way to increase your credit is to put balance on one card and have a total of 2% utilization. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.