Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with utilization!

tag
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Help with utilization!

I'm enlisting the help of my fellow fico family. You all are so helpful and knowledgable about credit and scores. I'm not good at calculating the util % so could somebody help me? I'm just wondering where I am after paying down a lot of cc debt. I have 6 cards as follows:

Cap1 1000 bal 0

Cap1 2050 bal 1014.83

Hooters 1800 bal 685.56

Orchard 1000 bal 686.03

Walmart 400 bal 0

Target 200 bal 0

I have recently in the last couple of weeks payed all of these cards down or off, all of them were pretty much maxed out. I'm just wondering what my util is at this point I'm excited to see it go down but I don't know how to calculate it. I'm working on getting the other cards paid off or down to 1-9 util. Also can someone tell me the best way to manage these cards to obtain the max score possible with a Bk in 05 discharged 2-06. You all have been very helpful and I got these cards by reading all of your suggestions.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Re: Help with utilization!

Thank you brownee for your prompt response! now how do I use these cards to get the maximum score?
Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
brownee
Frequent Contributor

Looks to me like you're right at 37% utilization.

ETA: I just added the balances together and divided by the available credit.  (2386.42/ 6450.00)

Message Edited by brownee on 04-07-2009 01:36 PM
7/7/09 TU: 630 EQ: 638 EX: ??
4/3/09 TU: 599 EQ: 606 EX: ??
Message 2 of 10
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Thank you brownee for your prompt response! now how do I use these cards to get the maximum score?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@favor4me2 wrote:

You make sure that the total util reporting to the CRA is below 9%.

I would recommend having just one CC's balance to report to the CRA's and that should be below 9%

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Step 1: Get utilization under 35%, this is a threshhold.  There are various threshholds that bucket your utilization. 

Step 2:  Reduce debt utilization and number of accounts with a reported balance.

Step 3:  Ultimately keep utilization to 9% or less and a balance on only 1 card, if possible.

Message 5 of 10
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Thank you, so after I get them all payed down just make sure I only have one at a time reporting a balance under 9%? and I suppose if I do use them just make sure I pay them off before the billing statement ends so it wont report a balance, is that correct?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@favor4me2 wrote:
Thank you, so after I get them all payed down just make sure I only have one at a time reporting a balance under 9%? and I suppose if I do use them just make sure I pay them off before the billing statement ends so it wont report a balance, is that correct?

correct

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Thanks, txjohn, I so admire your scores. about 4 years ago that's  what mine were in the 500's after the bk and loosing the house, now I'm in the mid to upper 600's working on 700's. I have to do what you did to get there.
Message Edited by favor4me2 on 04-07-2009 12:12 PM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.  The journey is time and pain staking, but ultimately worth it Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 10
economan
Established Member

Could you tell me (if you know this) what the major tiers for utilization under 50% are. Many many thanks!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.