Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help!

Who is known to give generious CL's?  I've had horrible credit my entire life, and now I have mid 700's, 11 years history, 5 AAOA.  Current utilization is 4%...highest limit card is 2240.  I really want to get a card with a GREAT credit limit.  I want to apply for around 3 cards.   My thoughts are Amex BCP, Chase Freedom and Us Bank Cash Plus.  I don't want to apply for cards and get a crappy 2k limit or something.  At that point its almost worthless to me.  Thanks!

Oh and I have an Amex Zync since July, and was backdated to 2004

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Help!

Try a local CU, they are known for awesome CL's!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1 Best route would be a local CU.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 6
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I don't know what account you have but I would say go for the BCP! The 3xCL would place you up in the 5 digits limit in just couple of months.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:

I don't know what account you have but I would say go for the BCP! The 3xCL would place you up in the 5 digits limit in just couple of months.

This would be a good choice too.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Who is known to give generious CL's?  I've had horrible credit my entire life, and now I have mid 700's, 11 years history, 5 AAOA.  Current utilization is 4%...highest limit card is 2240.  I really want to get a card with a GREAT credit limit.  I want to apply for around 3 cards.   My thoughts are Amex BCP, Chase Freedom and Us Bank Cash Plus.  I don't want to apply for cards and get a crappy 2k limit or something.  At that point its almost worthless to me.  Thanks!

Oh and I have an Amex Zync since July, and was backdated to 2004

Not all local CUs give generous CLs, so if you go that route, be sure to talk with several first. I ended up w/$500 CL w/local CU CC last year, so high CLs w/CUs isn't always the case. (Some CUs are very conservative.)

I was stuck in the $2k CL rut until this year. The challenge is that new CCs are reluctant to go much higher than your current CLs. Chase only gave me $3k, when my highest CL was $2500, so it wasn't much of a leap. And now any CLIs w/them w/be HP.

I would try for an Amex revolver and hope for 3x CLI after 61 days. I started w/$2k w/Costco Amex and CLId to $6k, which has helped my starting CLs w/new CCs, as well as getting generous CLIs with current CCs.

The great thing is that it snowballs, and once you break the barrier, other CCs will match your new high CLs.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.