Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helpful advice for Barclay backdoor number

tag
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

Helpful advice for Barclay backdoor number

Hey everyone. Just applied for and approve for Apple Visa Barclay card with a limit of $1300.  I want to call the back door and ask for an increase to 3k.  Any idea on what questions they will ask?  My highest non-store limit card is $1500 and highest store limit is (2) cards at 3k.  I am a bit worried about utilization on two cards.  (about 80%) but I plan on paying them both off in 30 days with an end of year bonus and my gf is moving in with me, which makes rent easier.  Almost like getting a raise. LOL. Should I tell them these things?  I really want 3k for a purchase in about 6 months - Macbook Pro and iPhone.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Re: Helpful advice for Barclay backdoor number

I have personally called for a recon of a higher limit.  The person I spoke with was very polite and helpful.  She confirmed my annual income information and also asked if I had an immediate need (i.e. purchase from Apple) I wanted to make.  I did confirm I wanted to make a purchase which exceeded my limit.  She asked about some reportedmactivity on my credit report.  I explained that they were vacation charges which were paid in full but had not yet reported the new balances.  Again, very polite and she just seemed to want a good feel for my intent.  I could have been full of it when I said I had a zero balance which would reflect in the next report.  She seemed happy with my answers and adjusted the limit up another $3000.  Five minutes on the phone and done.

Message 2 of 10
Smug
Established Contributor

I did the same, was approved for 1300.00 called got a instant 5k
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an FYI, if you make this call within the first 30 days of your app/approval, it will be a soft on your TU report (provided that's who they pulled, TU is who Barclay pulls almost exclusively) if you wait 31 days it will be another hard pull.

Barclays also bases their CL for you based on the CL's you have on other CC's listed on your CR's, at least that was the case when I apped, I was instant approved with a CL of 2000, called in and asked for a higher CL, the guy I spoke with softed my TU and told me they have matched my highest CL (this was back in May when I did not have any real high CL's) but he went ahead and increased my CL to 2500.

I now have CL's on other cards 5K, 6K, 10K, 16K, so if I decide to call for a CLI in Nov (it will be a hard, so I'm not sure if I will call for a CLI)  I'm sure I'd get a pretty significant CLI, because Barclays wants to be competitive with your other credit cards.

Best of Luck!

Message 4 of 10
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

So I called.. Asked for a 3k limit to match my highest cards.  Two at 3k, but they are both store cards.  Highest bank card is $1500.

He denied me.  I have 3 charge offs from 2006 and he asked me about them.  Told me he was concerned for that reason. I was young and in a tough family circumstance. I didn't argue although I wanted too.  Generally, that is a reason to deny an application in full, not turn down on the raise of a limit.  He could have at least given me 2k to beat my highest limit card, which is a low APR Hooters Card.  I also have an Auto Loan on time for 7 months.  Score was about 650 with 30 % utilization.  I honestly think that I got a tough rep. 

THanks for your help. I will probably app for the Priceline card in 7 months. Wanted to do it at the same time as Apple but thought they might not like that. What do you think?

Thanks

John

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call again, it took me about 3 calls I believe to get a rep that really went out of his way to help, they do keep notes on your acct, so the next rep will see that you already spoke to someone about this, but I would not give up just yet.

Message 6 of 10
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

I thought about the notes thing.  I figured they might have.  Anyone have any experience calling more than once?  I just don't want to risk looking desperate.  I know that they soft you after 6 months and I don't plan on apping for anything, but I want to keep this card.  I've worked hard to rebuild. STarting with a $300 cap one card that hasn't budged.  Next up I'll hit some of the larger banks, Chase, Amex in about 7 months.  Been a lonnngg road. 

Message 7 of 10
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

But I do just think it's unfair to approve me then say we won't match your highest limit card because you have charge offs from 5 years ago.   I've managed a $1500 limit card, and 2 $3000 limit cards and a $25,000 auto loan since that time. 

Message 8 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

But I do just think it's unfair to approve me then say we won't match your highest limit card because you have charge offs from 5 years ago.   I've managed a $1500 limit card, and 2 $3000 limit cards and a $25,000 auto loan since that time. 

How is it unfair?  There's no requirement to match your other cards.  They approving you alone is adding to your total amount of credit that could be used.  These things take time.  Some companies won't even give you a card with 3 chargeoffs  showing.  At least you have your foot in the door!  You also have a few options.  You can try calling again, as suggested above.  You can try good-willing your chargeooffs.  You can wait.  Time will heal your credit reports.  You can apply for another/more cards although I'm not sure you'd want to do that.  You can save and put partial cash toward the purchase you are planning.

Don't give up!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 10
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

clocktick wrote: 

How is it unfair?  There's no requirement to match your other cards.  They approving you alone is adding to your total amount of credit that could be used.  These things take time.  Some companies won't even give you a card with 3 chargeoffs  showing.  At least you have your foot in the door!  You also have a few options.  You can try calling again, as suggested above.  You can try good-willing your chargeooffs.  You can wait.  Time will heal your credit reports.  You can apply for another/more cards although I'm not sure you'd want to do that.  You can save and put partial cash toward the purchase you are planning.

Don't give up!

+1.  Also, since you are looking to make your Apple purchase 6 months from now, why not just hold off on the CLI until then and show them what a reliable customer you can be. 

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.