Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helpful payment info from Barclay

tag
crrredit
Established Contributor

Helpful payment info from Barclay

I transferred a balance to my Barclaycard to take advantage of 0% financing. Since the transfer I made a few purchases. I want to make payments that result in my not paying any interest, without having to pay the total balance. Thankfully, Barclay includes that specific info. Toward the end of the statement, it tells me exactly how much I need to pay that month to avoid paying interest. It's handy to have that spelled out directly, so I don't have to call Stephen Hawking to figure it out for me.

Not sure if other cards do the same, or if it's a legal requirement. If not, kudos to Barclay for providing it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Bman70
Established Contributor

Re: Helpful payment info from Barclay

Yeah it's a great feature, I use it all the time to make purchases while carrying BT, and avoid interest. Capital One does the same if you get a 0% offer. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 2 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Bman70 wrote:

Yeah it's a great feature, I use it all the time to make purchases while carrying BT, and avoid interest. Capital One does the same if you get a 0% offer. 

+1

That is a great feature, and I really appreciate that Capital One does that.  I will add that Discover does not do that... if you have a 0% balance transfer promotion with them you need to SD the card unless you also have a 0% promotion for new purchases as well (such as when the account is new). 

I also activated my Bank of America BBR a few days ago and a CSR helped me move a balance over to it.  He specifically told me there was no way to avoid paying interest on new purchases as long as I'm carrying a 0% BT, so that card will go to the SD for the next year or so.  Most likely the card will be over a year old before it gets swiped for the first time... LOL.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 10
Bman70
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

+1

That is a great feature, and I really appreciate that Capital One does that.  I will add that Discover does not do that... if you have a 0% balance transfer promotion with them you need to SD the card unless you also have a 0% promotion for new purchases as well (such as when the account is new). 

I also activated my Bank of America BBR a few days ago and a CSR helped me move a balance over to it.  He specifically told me there was no way to avoid paying interest on new purchases as long as I'm carrying a 0% BT, so that card will go to the SD for the next year or so.  Most likely the card will be over a year old before it gets swiped for the first time... LOL.  Smiley Very Happy

Yep same with my Bofa BBR. It's pretty much SD'd until the 0% is paid off. But the great thing about BT on that card is you still earn the quarterly $25. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 4 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

I will just leave this right here LOL

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-balance-transfer/td-p/4620608
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 10
crrredit
Established Contributor

I talked to Comenity (Wayfair card) about this, because I used a deferred interest offer on one item and bought another item since. They said after the minmum payment and any outstanding fees, they apply the payment to the items with the highest interest rate first, then the promo balance with the earliest end date. So theoretically, I can pay the minimum plus enough to cover my non-promo purchases and I won't be charged interest. But, to get back to the original point of this thread, Comenity does not indicate on the statement the amount I need to pay to avoid interest. I have to figure it out myself. Or call Stephen Hawking.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

+1

I had no idea!!! I just did a BT to my Discover IT but I also charged a few things since then....so my payments to Discover are applied to the BT first?

Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

+1

I had no idea!!! I just did a BT to my Discover IT but I also charged a few things since then....so my payments to Discover are applied to the BT first?

That's the way I read the 'fine print'... (and it's one of the few places Discover falls short, IMO):

discoBT.jpg

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

+1

That's the way I read the 'fine print'... (and it's one of the few places Discover falls short, IMO):

discoBT.jpg

+1

Ditto! I never paid attention to it before because generally I use my IT for BTs. I'm glad you brought it to my attention on another mod because I would have been screwed this quarter. Good lookin' out UncleB.

Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree nice feature to have vs not being in the know and just assuming or guessing.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.