Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 4,875
Registered: ‎11-02-2010
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions


Revelate wrote:

2FixMyCredit wrote:

Also, she isn't willing to take anymore HP's right now, I do think if she decides she can afford a secured I'll pay for half as a gift and go with Opensky.  I know they charge interest as soon as you purchase something, which is a down fall but their other fee's arent too outrageous.  But we'll see.  I'll try to keep this post updated and continue taking advice for her!


HP's are irrelevant when trying to establish credit.  If there's a good path that you find that requires an HP, have her take it and don't regret it in this case.

 

Your mother is simply artificially limiting her options by that stance; that's probably the forum's fault honestly, but I'd encourage you to educate her over that hurdle.

 

That said, if you're able to fund a $200 dollar option with Opensky, stretch it to $250 and take SFDCU secured instead and upgrade your CU for no membership nor secured card HP and a rewards card with $0 AF; also, honestly, at $300she could just take the HP and get the BOFA 1-2-3 secured card and she probably never needs to get another credit card again except for style points or FICO games. 


ICAM. I'm one of the biggest proponents on this forum of "gardening," but I also believe that it needs to be looked at in an overall context. While HPs shouldn't be taken willy-nilly, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taken at all. If it makes sense to take a HP, then by all means do so. The whole point is to have a building/rebuilding strategy that makes sense for the particular individual.


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions


tinuviel wrote:

Revelate wrote:

2FixMyCredit wrote:

Also, she isn't willing to take anymore HP's right now, I do think if she decides she can afford a secured I'll pay for half as a gift and go with Opensky.  I know they charge interest as soon as you purchase something, which is a down fall but their other fee's arent too outrageous.  But we'll see.  I'll try to keep this post updated and continue taking advice for her!


HP's are irrelevant when trying to establish credit.  If there's a good path that you find that requires an HP, have her take it and don't regret it in this case.

 

Your mother is simply artificially limiting her options by that stance; that's probably the forum's fault honestly, but I'd encourage you to educate her over that hurdle.

 

That said, if you're able to fund a $200 dollar option with Opensky, stretch it to $250 and take SFDCU secured instead and upgrade your CU for no membership nor secured card HP and a rewards card with $0 AF; also, honestly, at $300she could just take the HP and get the BOFA 1-2-3 secured card and she probably never needs to get another credit card again except for style points or FICO games. 


ICAM. I'm one of the biggest proponents on this forum of "gardening," but I also believe that it needs to be looked at in an overall context. While HPs shouldn't be taken willy-nilly, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taken at all. If it makes sense to take a HP, then by all means do so. The whole point is to have a building/rebuilding strategy that makes sense for the particular individual.


I agree. 1-2 is not going to kill you, get her the card that fits what her spending pattern is then hop in the Garden!




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,413
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions

If I were you I would try and apply for a Walmart credit card. They are one of if not the easiest unsecured credit cards to be approved for. This will give you great insight as to where your Mom really stands. If she's approved that would be great. If not, you know you have your work cut out for you.

 

It would definitely be worth a HP at this point to find out just where she stands.


Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 738 8/5/16 - EX 828 8/5/16 - TU 739 8/5/16
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 394
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions

anyone think she could get a low limit credit one? i don't recall fees other then 75 annual i got 1150 with a tu98 of 600-625 when i started rebuilding. no grace on purchases and pmt holds are the negs
Amx BCE-15000,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-8100
Credit Union Visa-1200
Discover-11,900, Khols-2000
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions


phillyguy12 wrote:
anyone think she could get a low limit credit one? i don't recall fees other then 75 annual i got 1150 with a tu98 of 600-625 when i started rebuilding. no grace on purchases and pmt holds are the negs

Those are some BIG negs!! I would exhaust any other opportunities and make this one the last ditch.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions


jamie123 wrote:

If I were you I would try and apply for a Walmart credit card. They are one of if not the easiest unsecured credit cards to be approved for. This will give you great insight as to where your Mom really stands. If she's approved that would be great. If not, you know you have your work cut out for you.

 

It would definitely be worth a HP at this point to find out just where she stands.


Not only that but free TU08 FICO monthly Smiley Happy

 

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 394
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions

yea def big negs but in subprime land unless u wanna pay fees for everything its a Ness. evil
Amx BCE-15000,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-8100
Credit Union Visa-1200
Discover-11,900, Khols-2000
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,361
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions

[ Edited ]

Try with capitalone no AF card, you may get lucky banks, like people on a fixed income, yes the income is usually low, but its guaranteed every month like clock work. 

 

yes credit cards are awesome when funds are limited, it sucks to pay a $25 late fee because your 2 days late on a utility bill, with a credit card you have 25 days of free float.
I remeber taking out a pay loan for 3 days else they were going to shut off my power.. i think it was $20 for a 3 day payday loan...

 

 

 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak/Freeom 4.6k, FNBO DISC 25.1k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5.5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 7.5k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5.9k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, Discover IT 15.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 9/5/2016
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,084
Registered: ‎02-06-2013
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions


tinuviel wrote:

Revelate wrote:

2FixMyCredit wrote:

Also, she isn't willing to take anymore HP's right now, I do think if she decides she can afford a secured I'll pay for half as a gift and go with Opensky.  I know they charge interest as soon as you purchase something, which is a down fall but their other fee's arent too outrageous.  But we'll see.  I'll try to keep this post updated and continue taking advice for her!


HP's are irrelevant when trying to establish credit.  If there's a good path that you find that requires an HP, have her take it and don't regret it in this case.

 

Your mother is simply artificially limiting her options by that stance; that's probably the forum's fault honestly, but I'd encourage you to educate her over that hurdle.

 

That said, if you're able to fund a $200 dollar option with Opensky, stretch it to $250 and take SFDCU secured instead and upgrade your CU for no membership nor secured card HP and a rewards card with $0 AF; also, honestly, at $300she could just take the HP and get the BOFA 1-2-3 secured card and she probably never needs to get another credit card again except for style points or FICO games. 


ICAM. I'm one of the biggest proponents on this forum of "gardening," but I also believe that it needs to be looked at in an overall context. While HPs shouldn't be taken willy-nilly, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taken at all. If it makes sense to take a HP, then by all means do so. The whole point is to have a building/rebuilding strategy that makes sense for the particular individual.


+1 I agree with Tinuviel. HPs are for a reason, to obtain tradelines in this case and that is what she needs, active tradelines..

259/21001600/16002400/25002000/2000,2013 Scores (Initially none cause I had no credit at all then TU:519 Recent scores:FICO EX 632,EQ 635,TU 659....Link to my Rebuild Log
Established Contributor
Posts: 508
Registered: ‎02-02-2013
0

Re: Helping Mom Rebuild...Need opinions

UPDATE: Her score has went up 15 points from two HPs falling off that were from 2011 - did not think those would affect it that much!

 

Capital one is completely out of the question for her she says, I have to respect her request.

I've also explained that she does need to apply for some stuff and we have decided to limit it to no more than ten HPS so she has 5 left to apply for something, hopefully she can get approved for a couple of things!

I am opting her in to hopefully get some commenity approvals with SP's and we'll go from there. Smiley Happy

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.