cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping a young person start

tag
Nightfall_X

Re: Helping a young person start

i'd add her on the 10k card, it might take a few months before she will be able to get her own card though, and make sure you add her you make sure they put in her social security number, sometimes they only ask the name.

American Express ZYNC - NPSL
Chase Sapphire - $6000
Citi Thank You Card - $8200
Discover - $4000
Best Buy / Capital One - $3200
Message 11 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Have her apply for an nrewards secured card. Add her as au to the nrewards you have.

That will give her a good start.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

As she is/will be a student, she should be eligible for student cards at some point.  I think adding her as an AU is the way to go, then at 6 months or a year, apply for some of  the student cards. 

That of course is just based on my experience, we didn't have secured cards.  I had added my daughters as AUs on my Cap One card (and one also on the BCP).

In her first year in college, my younger daughter has two cards of her own (Cap One Journey and Citi Forward for Students) and the elder, graduating this year, has those plus a BCE.

Message 13 of 14
hausfrau
New Contributor

I'll be adding her to my nRewards, and she just apped for and got a plain jane Cap1 Platinum (300 limit). It has 0 apr til Feb, but I wish she hadn't jumped the gun. I explained to her about the importance of taking care of it, and she has agreed to let me keep an eye on her account and ride her butt about it. She's a sharp kid, but clueless about money, my parents have always been hand over fist with her.

Starting my rebuild!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.