Nightfall_X

Re: Helping a young person start

i'd add her on the 10k card, it might take a few months before she will be able to get her own card though, and make sure you add her you make sure they put in her social security number, sometimes they only ask the name.

American Express ZYNC - NPSL
Chase Sapphire - $6000
Citi Thank You Card - $8200
Discover - $4000
Best Buy / Capital One - $3200
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Have her apply for an nrewards secured card. Add her as au to the nrewards you have.

That will give her a good start.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
bs6054

As she is/will be a student, she should be eligible for student cards at some point.  I think adding her as an AU is the way to go, then at 6 months or a year, apply for some of  the student cards. 

That of course is just based on my experience, we didn't have secured cards.  I had added my daughters as AUs on my Cap One card (and one also on the BCP).

In her first year in college, my younger daughter has two cards of her own (Cap One Journey and Citi Forward for Students) and the elder, graduating this year, has those plus a BCE.

New Contributor
hausfrau

I'll be adding her to my nRewards, and she just apped for and got a plain jane Cap1 Platinum (300 limit). It has 0 apr til Feb, but I wish she hadn't jumped the gun. I explained to her about the importance of taking care of it, and she has agreed to let me keep an eye on her account and ride her butt about it. She's a sharp kid, but clueless about money, my parents have always been hand over fist with her.

Starting my rebuild!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+