Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping my sister

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Helping my sister

So sometime around Dec 2016 I added my sis as AU as I wanted to help get her started with generating her fico scores, and she is on my Amex BCE, BOA Cash Rewards 3-2-1, Capital One Quicksilver, and Discover It, and now about 2 months ago she went to dentits and applied for Care Credit (Synchrony) CC and has 4,000 SL and she is using for the dentist and paying, only card in her name. She is 19, gonna be 20 in Sept if that matters.

Fico scores (CCT)

EX 758

TU 758

EQ 718

So with her scores now generated, was wondering what cards would be good for her to get and if I should take her off as AU? She is currently a student, and has a part time job. No loans, and not sure what she is making tho. But was thinking she could go after the same cards I have, and she could get Capital One and Discover, but what about the Amex, and BOA or any other cards you guys would think would be good?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Helping my sister

I would try Discover and if she gets that , give it 6 months to help add to her thin file then possibly try Amex. Amex likes thin files sometimes but its best to at least have a good solid 6 months to back up her scoresSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Journey was my first card and it has treated me well. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd also recommend the Discover IT or Discover IT Chrome (both for students). 

Message 3 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I would try Discover and if she gets that , give it 6 months to help add to her thin file then possibly try Amex. Amex likes thin files sometimes but its best to at least have a good solid 6 months to back up her scoresSmiley Wink

+1  For simple cash back, a Discover it with the first year of doubling + bonus categories and a BCE or BCP (depending on spend) from Amex would be great cards that would likely never be regretted.  As for leaving her as an AU, I would go with whatever your comfort level is.  Keep in mind that if you pulled her from all of them now, her AAoA and oldest credit line would drop to 2 months if that Care Credit is the only thing left on her reports and her scores would likely drop drastically from where they are now.  If you're comfortable leaving her on for a while until her AAoA and age of oldest credit line would be at the 2 year mark for her own accounts, that would probably give her a lot more cushioning for that impact.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'll just leave her as AU for a while longer then, as it seems it will keep helping her. I have the cards. And will give her the advice from you all here on what to do next.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
Grabiela
New Contributor

I think Macys American Express. My sister did the same thing with me and its work.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.