Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is my plan... what do you guys think? UPDATE 10/23

tag
codimom
Frequent Contributor

Here is my plan... what do you guys think? UPDATE 10/23

I'm in the garden.  I'm making plans for my graceful exit (for a minute) then I'm going to head back in.

In January, I plan on apping for a discover card.  I am assuming that since I am preapproved now, if I behave myself 'll still be preapproved then.  My goal is to get a CL high enough to cover the cl of  3 cards I want to close (chase slate 1800 and HSBC 3500 and Kohls 100.  yes 100 -- long story).  If discover were higher than   5400, my utilization won't take a hit when I close the cards.  Those cards are sock drawered now, and since none  wanted to PC me to a new card (chase) or give me a CLI (hsbc and kohls) I've decided they've done their job and its time to close them. 

IF I do add discover, I will have 4 prime credit cards with good cls and rewards. and 1 store card (target).  I will have my Amex bce, my barclay Frontier rewards card, Alliant credit union visa rewards and discover (if they say yes).

Should I plan on closing, or just continue to sd those cards until they get closed for non use?  My ultimate goal is to get a few "good" cards that will continue to grow in my garden, and weed out the under performers (chase, hsbc and kohls)

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Here is my plan... what do you guys think?

@codimom wrote:

I'm in the garden.  I'm making plans for my graceful exit (for a minute) then I'm going to head back in.

In January, I plan on apping for a discover card.  I am assuming that since I am preapproved now, if I behave myself 'll still be preapproved then.  My goal is to get a CL high enough to cover the cl of  3 cards I want to close (chase slate 1800 and HSBC 3500 and Kohls 100.  yes 100 -- long story).  If discover were higher than   5400, my utilization won't take a hit when I close the cards.  Those cards are sock drawered now, and since none  wanted to PC me to a new card (chase) or give me a CLI (hsbc and kohls) I've decided they've done their job and its time to close them. 

IF I do add discover, I will have 4 prime credit cards with good cls and rewards. and 1 store card (target).  I will have my Amex bce, my barclay Frontier rewards card, Alliant credit union visa rewards and discover (if they say yes).

Should I plan on closing, or just continue to sd those cards until they get closed for non use?  My ultimate goal is to get a few "good" cards that will continue to grow in my garden, and weed out the under performers (chase, hsbc and kohls)

i wouldnt close chase see if you can PC to a freedom. chase will grow but slowly. To do a PC you must wait 13 months from account opening. how long have you had it? i had my freedom for 3 months and they gave me a $1k CLI . so wait it out. the HSBC and KOhls i dont blame you. i plan on closing some cards that will not preform for me at all or limits move ie BBY plan b card 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 13
TheConductor
Established Contributor

+1 on holding onto Chase. They may grow more slowly than some other lenders, but they have some of the most rewarding cards on the market right now. It's probably best to keep your foot in the door with them.

Also, in addition to apping for the Discover, have you considered apping for another AmEx?  The backdating would of course be helpful, and assuming your history on the BCE is solid I think AmEx would give you another good CL.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 13
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I've had the chase card (slate) since 2009.. it was a convert from wamu.  they narfed my cl the first time I paid the balance off.. saying it didn't look like I needed it.  About 3 months ago i sent a secure message to chase asking to pc the card to a freedom.. they said not at this time, and if i wanted to I could simply apply for Freedom.

i would love for chase to grow a little... especially since my other limits have all grown with me (gotta love that 61day cli with amex).  maybe i will keep it ... but really wish they'd pc it to freedom...

Back in the garden!
Message 4 of 13
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@codimom wrote:

I've had the chase card (slate) since 2009.. it was a convert from wamu.  they narfed my cl the first time I paid the balance off.. saying it didn't look like I needed it.  About 3 months ago i sent a secure message to chase asking to pc the card to a freedom.. they said not at this time, and if i wanted to I could simply apply for Freedom.

i would love for chase to grow a little... especially since my other limits have all grown with me (gotta love that 61day cli with amex).  maybe i will keep it ... but really wish they'd pc it to freedom...

call the exec office i got everything i wanted from them. they are very helpful. i had a BAL at the time of my CLI pretty close to limit too and they gave me 2x more then what i asked. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 5 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

+1 with calling the executive office. Being you've had the account since 2009 they should be able to make you happy. Lol at the NARFED comment! With discover without knowing your credit picture I'd say not likely they would start you out at 5k plus limit.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll find that Discover is not known for large starting limits...or large CLI's for that matter. 

I remember many stories of Chase not being all that kind to the orphans from Wamu.  I also remember that the ones who stuck it out and actually app'd for products from Chase, as opposed to hanging on to the old converted cards, had much more success with them.  

The secret to high limits with Chase is not the luv button (they don't have one, which should tell you something).  They like to give you new cards, and then allow you to reallocate limits from there.  This is basically what the rep you spoke with was alluding to.  It's easier to get a new card with them compared to a CLI.  Can't say why, I can only tell you what I've seen time and time again.

Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@afbar1114 wrote:

@codimom wrote:

call the exec office i got everything i wanted from them. they are very helpful. i had a BAL at the time of my CLI pretty close to limit too and they gave me 2x more then what i asked. 

Different scenario.  Some of the old WAMU accounts that converted to either Slates or Freedoms were basically stuck in product limbo with regards to PC's.  I agree that it's worth calling the exec office; however, they may not be able to do anything in this case though in this scenario I can't see how it'd hurt to ask at all.

        
Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@afbar1114 wrote:

@codimom wrote:

Different scenario.  Some of the old WAMU accounts that converted to either Slates or Freedoms were basically stuck in product limbo with regards to PC's.  I agree that it's worth calling the exec office; however, they may not be able to do anything in this case though I can't see how it'd hurt to ask at all on this issue.

        
Message 9 of 13
codimom
Frequent Contributor

as i wrote in the garden thread, i caved and apped for the discover I wanted.  I got an instant approval for 7500 cl.  so it covers the util I wanted to close.

I WILL be closing the HSBC and the Kohls...but y'all have a great point about Chase.  I'll hold onto it for awhile longer and see if my orphan WAMU card can get changed with a call to the office.

Back in the garden!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.