cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a question: why do people have so many credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Here's a question: why do people have so many credit cards?

If you're restablishing, having that many cards is crazy.  If you're already good with credit, I don't see a problem, although I'd never do it.  

Personally I'd rather have 6-8 cards with high credit lines.  Even that number might be a little high.  I have 4 cards right now and I'm OCD with checking amounts, bill due dates, adding them to the calendar, making sure I have the money in the account for payment, etc.  I can't imagine having to do that with 20 cards. 

Message 11 of 34
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@elim wrote:

average (this poll) is 3.75.

the people that hang out on myFICO/CC are not the norm.

I myself have 9 and am far from done. (building thicker file, bonuses, better rewards, lower apr, etc.) Of course i will close/replace some along the way to avoid the wratch of the CCC's.

Source: Federal Reserve Survey of Consumer Finances, US Census Bureau, Sallie Mae, Com Score, Experian
Research Date: July 9th, 2014
A credit card is a payment card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows the cardholder to pay for goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for them.
Total number of credit cards in use in the US1,895,834,000
Total number of US credit card holders199,800,000
Percent of people in the US polled who did not have a credit card23 %
Average number of credit cards per person3.75
Average age when receiving first credit card20.1
Percent of credit card owners with a gas card11.9 %
Percent of card holders who have a rewards credit card60 %

Divide the total number of credit cards in use, by the total number of card holders. You get 9.3 cards per person, and not 3.75

I wonder how they come up with these numbers... Are they saying that most credit cards are business cards, and that the holders of business cards dont also have personal cards?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 34
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Many of us have multiple cards to maximize rewards. If you know of a single card that offers 5x rewards on everything please do share. Smiley Wink

The Buypower card gives 5% cash back on all purchases for the first $5000 per year, and uncapped 2% after that, with no annual fee.

And its a World Elite MasterCard...   Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 34
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

Many of us have multiple cards to maximize rewards. If you know of a single card that offers 5x rewards on everything please do share. Smiley Wink

The Buypower card gives 5% cash back on all purchases for the first $5000 per year, and uncapped 2% after that, with no annual fee.

And its a World Elite MasterCard...   Smiley Wink

Only if you want a car from Government Motors.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're restablishing, having that many cards is crazy.  If you're already good with credit, I don't see a problem, although I'd never do it.  

Personally I'd rather have 6-8 cards with high credit lines.  Even that number might be a little high.  I have 4 cards right now and I'm OCD with checking amounts, bill due dates, adding them to the calendar, making sure I have the money in the account for payment, etc.  I can't imagine having to do that with 20 cards. 

It wouldn't be that difficult with 20 cards. Simply rotate them. Use two or three for a month or two, switch to the next two or three in the lineup for a month or two, etc, etc. That assumes, though, that one is paying in full each month. Doesn't really accomplish the goal of reducing card management hassle if carrying balances.

Message 15 of 34
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Its preference and what you can handle. You could argue that for a good FICO score you don't need more than probably 3 cards.

Most people who have a lot are chasing rewards and bonuses. It can be profitable if done right. Bonus churning isn't my thing personally but you can get a lot out of it. If you are a heavy heavy spender having lots of reward cards and travel transfer cards can make sense. If you travel a lot especially since those rewards tend to be lucrative.

That said unless your household income is VERY high like over 100k and you can afford to spend a ton and PIF over and over, excluding manufactured spending you'll hit a point of diminishing returns and spread tiny bits of rewards over many cards which IMO is useless. I do think some of the reward chase can be overkill and an addiction leading to app sprees and misguided abuse of rewards. Leading to accounts being shut down in some cases. You have to be careful. Credit is not a game. Accounts remain on your report for years even inquiries stay for 2. Don't open things you don't need and don't churn if you want long term clean reports.

The average non huge spender, non churner, non MS consumer probably doesn't need more than 3 to 5 cards max. I have 6 and I think its too many really because I don't do those things but I'm leaving them alone for now.

That was well-stated, kdm31091.

Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

I myself have 9 and am far from done. (building thicker file, bonuses, better rewards, lower apr, etc.) Of course i will close/replace some along the way to avoid the wratch of the CCC's.

Source: Federal Reserve Survey of Consumer Finances, US Census Bureau, Sallie Mae, Com Score, Experian
A credit card is a payment card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows the cardholder to pay for goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for them.

I'm wondering what is the average number of credit cards per person on this forum?

Probably look something like this:

Total number of credit cards in use on myFico Forum...
Total number of myFico credit card holdersEntire Population
Percent of people on myFico polled who did not have a credit card0 %
Average number of credit cards per person>5, or >10?
Average age when receiving first credit card18
Percent of credit card owners with a gas card>50%
Percent of card holders who have a rewards credit card99%
Message 17 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems six to eight would be the magic number, you'd have enough to establish a decent credit line, plus you wouldn't give any of your credit card lenders the shakes by having two many open accounts.  Barclay, Citi and AMEX are very leery of too many inquiries or open accounts, I can't imagine it wouldn't at least give other lenders pause. 

Message 18 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@elim wrote:

Divide the total number of credit cards in use, by the total number of card holders. You get 9.3 cards per person, and not 3.75

I wonder how they come up with these numbers... Are they saying that most credit cards are business cards, and that the holders of business cards dont also have personal cards?

Usually the stats are broken down in various ways, so that Average number of credit cards per person inlcludes those with no cards.   The 9.3 you calculate would be labelled something like "average number of credit cards per cardholder"

Message 19 of 34
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

This makes no sense. 199,800,000 X 3.75 = 749,250,000 cards issued not 1.9 Bill. By the above data should be average of 9.5 cards per person. This looks like some more funny govmt math to me.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.