Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's what I don't understand...

tag
mbj81380
Established Member

Here's what I don't understand...

I've had my Old Navy account for over six months with a $300 limit.  I use it pretty often, currently have a balance ($150), but haven't paid my bill for this month (due in a few weeks).  My scores are in the high 600s (683, 673, depending on where you look).  I don't have anything bad on my credit report, but also don't have too much history.  My oldest account is a paid off car loan from 5 years ago, the rest of my accounts are from within this year.  I have a Capital One secured card (getting the axe very soon, balance is $100/$220), a Discover More (balance is $150/500) and a few other store cards (with $0/1000) and I make about 44K a year.    Please help me understand why Old Navy keeps rejecting my request to increase my limit!!!  I've asked for small increases, like $200 and I get nothing!  I'm tempted to just stop using it altogether!  Everyone talks about how generous GE is, but I'm certainly getting no love from them.

Any input is appreciated!

Current Scores: 680 Credit Karma, 721 Credit Sesame, 705 MyFico, 715 Discover CMS
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Here's what I don't understand...

This is only a guess, but two of the cards you listed are at approx. 50% util, maybe that coupled with the short limited history is what's making GE a little skittish?

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@kjm79 wrote:

This is only a guess, but two of the cards you listed are at approx. 50% util, maybe that coupled with the short limited history is what's making GE a little skittish?

I agree, GE is very skiddish about high util. and I had to find that out every time I tried for CLI's for 6 months, when i got my overall util. down to 6%, BAM! Increases on all of my GE accounts!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 8
mbj81380
Established Member

I guess I'll just wait it out and get all of my cards down.  These forums are great, but can be frustrating when you hear about people with profiles and scores way worse than my own getting approved for things.  I guess I'll just keep plodding along with my tiny limits.  Hopefully someone will be nice and give me a little boost!

Current Scores: 680 Credit Karma, 721 Credit Sesame, 705 MyFico, 715 Discover CMS
Message 4 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mbj81380 wrote:

I guess I'll just wait it out and get all of my cards down.  These forums are great, but can be frustrating when you hear about people with profiles and scores way worse than my own getting approved for things.  I guess I'll just keep plodding along with my tiny limits.  Hopefully someone will be nice and give me a little boost!

Patience is key with a thin file, I experienced it first hand. Good things will come if you treat your cards right and give them time to age!! GE will come around to you soon, work on your util. and they'll help you out!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 8
kjm79
Valued Contributor

That's really all you can do. Wait it out.  My GE experience was with my JCP card.  I included them in a BK in 04, luckily they approved me in 09 for a new account.  It took nearly 2 years for me to get from $600 to $900 then nothing.  Then one dayup to $1700.  Last month I called in for a CLI and asked for a $2500 and they gave me $3900.  I had tried charging and PIF, let a small balance report, and even larger balances.  Sometimes with GE, you just have to be patient. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 8
mbj81380
Established Member

I'll be patient, but I should probably ban myself from reading any posts that include "CLI" in the heading.  Too bad there isn't a filter for that!

Message 7 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@mbj81380 wrote:

You'll get there.  We say it all the time, but it bears repeating, score isn't everything.  Someone else in the high or mid 600s could have a very different credit profile, and the vast majority of people posting about their limits don't say anything about their income.  It's difficult to compare to another's profile without all of the information.  Moreover, most people don't know what their EX score is.  When I was approved for Amex PR Gold, I knew my EQ was 645 or something like that.   I was surprised I was approved.  Found out much later that my EX FICO sits about 50 points above my EQ FICO.  So not such a shocking approval. 

With a thin file, and small limits, you want to do everything you can to put your best foot forward if applying for more credit.  So don't apply unless you have $0 balances across all your accounts except 1.  And let a very small balance report on that one card.  Less than 9% of that card's limit.  You'll have to play the utilization game by paying your CC bills before the statement closes so you report $0 balances.  The good thing is that your balances are small, so it should be easy to pay them off quickly. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.