Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiccup in Chase Pre-Approval Site

tag
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Hiccup in Chase Pre-Approval Site

I'm gearing up for a Chase Freedom application, once a major CLI updates on my reports in the next few days! In preparation, a few weeks ago, I checked for "pre-qualified offers" on the Chase website, and lo and behold, it returned both Freedom and Slate. 

However, I checked today, and it listed only SLATE?!? No Freedom. I can't figure out why this would have changed. All that's happened in the interim is: 

1. Opened a Transunion dispute to remove a pre-rehabilitation student loan tradeline
  2. Wrote a goodwill letter to Citibank, which did not work. Instead of removing lates, they marked them "disputed." Ugh. 
  3. Added as an AU on fiancee's Chase Slate. 

Could any of the above explain the change? Should I call Citibank, yell at them, and make them remove the dispute notation? 

Thanks!

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ecocredit
New Contributor

Re: Hiccup in Chase Pre-Approval Site

Disputes work against you in two ways. First new lenders are scared that not only would you not pay them their money back but also later "dispute" the charges. Given the economy and the large credit debt in the general population, it is highly unlikely that disputed items on your credit report are actually errors. I would wait until you clean up your credit report before attempting to acquire more credit. Also, there is no guarantee that "undisputing" the entries is going to get you back your offers Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 15
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@ecocredit wrote:

Disputes work against you in two ways. First new lenders are scared that not only would you not pay them their money back but also later "dispute" the charges. Given the economy and the large credit debt in the general population, it is highly unlikely that disputed items on your credit report are actually errors. I would wait until you clean up your credit report before attempting to acquire more credit. Also, there is no guarantee that "undisputing" the entries is going to get you back your offers Smiley Wink

That's so frustrating. My goodwill letter to Citibank actually said, in as many words, "please do not mark these items disputed, as I do not dispute their validity." Infuriating.

So you think that's it?  

Gardening since May 2015

Message 3 of 15
ecocredit
New Contributor

@ACG23 wrote:

@ecocredit wrote:

That's so frustrating. My goodwill letter to Citibank actually said, in as many words, "please do not mark these items disputed, as I do not dispute their validity." Infuriating.

So you think that's it?  

Yes it is highly likely. Also goodwill letters will get you nothing. It's either you strongarm them or wait it out. By strongarm I mean you'll have to catch them in violation of FCRA FDCP or cut a deal with them (PFD). Other than that they won't drop anything on your report. Best of luck!

Message 4 of 15
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@ACG23 wrote:

@ecocredit wrote:

So you think that's it?  

You don't have one dispute but two right now.

Also if you were planning on applying for a chase card what made you add yourself as a AU for a CC that you were thinking of getting?

Message 5 of 15
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@ACG23 wrote:

@ecocredit wrote:

So you think that's it?  

You don't have one dispute but two right now.

Also if you were planning on applying for a chase card what made you add yourself as a AU for a CC that you were thinking of getting?

I was added as an AU on a Slate card, not Freedom. 

I've read success stories here about "goodwill" attempts. It's certainly never worked for me, but I figured it was worth the effort. I hadn't expected that it would entail immediate, negative consequences for future accounts. 

Edit: I meant to thank you both for the advice. You've made me rethink my credit repair tactics. 

Gardening since May 2015

Message 6 of 15
AlfredoPasta

I think it's a Hiccup with the site. I plan on apping for a Freedom in a couple of months and checked last week. I had Sapphire, Freedom and Slate appear under pre-approval. I checked yesterday and I only got Sapphire and Slate.

Message 7 of 15
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@AlfredoPasta wrote:

I think it's a Hiccup with the site. I plan on apping for a Freedom in a couple of months and checked last week. I had Sapphire, Freedom and Slate appear under pre-approval. I checked yesterday and I only got Sapphire and Slate.

That's interesting. Any account changes on your side that could explain it? 

Also, to the other commenters, thanks again, and one more question. Suppose I apply and hit the 7-10 day review message. Can I then call and explain away the disputes? 

Gardening since May 2015

Message 8 of 15
AlfredoPasta

No account changes on my end and some of the other credit sites are still recommending Freedom to me.

Message 9 of 15
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Is there promotion for the $200 bonus ending soon? If so i wonder if thats the reason why it might not be showing up for everyone. Like they might have changed or in the process of updating their wesbite. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.