Frequent Contributor
brother7

High Balance > Credit Limit

Upon reviewing my EX annual credit report, I noticed that my High Balance exceeded my Credit Limit twice in 2007.

Questions

1. Does this negatively affect my credit score?
  2. If yes, will a CLI resolve the negative effect?
  3. If CLI is recommended, will it result in a hard or soft INQ?
Thanks in advance.

11/02/2012 Peak - EQ 790 (ScoreWatch EQ FICO)
12/08/2014 Current - TU 823 (Walmart MasterCard TU FICO 08 Classic)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 09/07/2014
Regular Contributor
itsjustmeibe

Re: High Balance > Credit Limit

simply put, your high balance exceeding credit limit does not affect your score. Let me clarify that at the time you were over your limit, your score suffered because you were maxed out.

I now have a card where my high balance exceeds my current limit, but that's because AMEX decreased the limit.

Valued Contributor
Guardian

Re: High Balance > Credit Limit

brother7 wrote:

Upon reviewing my EX annual credit report, I noticed that my High Balance exceeded my Credit Limit twice in 2007.

Questions

1. Does this negatively affect my credit score?
  2. If yes, will a CLI resolve the negative effect?
  3. If CLI is recommended, will it result in a hard or soft INQ?
Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately creditors will report in funny ways, like they will report your high balance as your credit limit when they two might be considerably different. I have a few of those myself and I can't get them to correct it, which I am sure IS hurting me in some aspects. Generally speaking for the periods in which it showed that, your util was higher and therefore yes, you took a hit but that shouldn't last forever, it will adjust to activity since then. Hope it helps.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}