Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Minimum Payment from Discover

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: High Minimum Payment from Discover

@larinoriani wrote:

So basically the CARD act was just enough to make issuers play around with their rules and not to help consumers...? I guess by now they have found a way to go around each of the CARD new "rules"...

The Credit CARD act prevents issuers from arbitrarily raising interest rates on existing balances unless you are late with your payments. IMO, that is the most important change. It also directs issuers to apply payments over the minimum to the highest interest rate debt unless certain conditions apply.
Message 21 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@athensguy wrote:

@larinoriani wrote:

So basically the CARD act was just enough to make issuers play around with their rules and not to help consumers...? I guess by now they have found a way to go around each of the CARD new "rules"...

The Credit CARD act prevents issuers from arbitrarily raising interest rates on existing balances unless you are late with your payments. IMO, that is the most important change. It also directs issuers to apply payments over the minimum to the highest interest rate debt unless certain conditions apply.

And it also keeps issuers from making even more money off of those who carry balances by forcing them (us) to pay our balances down more quickly. Increasing the minimum payment is actually pro-consumer if you think about it. Although of course, it's better to pay way more than the minimums.

Another thing that they had to do is add the at-the-rate-that-you're-going box to your statements. If you look at one of your statements that has a balance, you'll see a section that says that if you only make minimum payments, it will take you X number of months to pay it off, whereas if you pay a higher amount, you'll pay it off in Y months (Y being less than X, obviously.)

So sure, the CARD Act failed to address some things, and lenders are still trying to weasel their way around various provisions, and oh yes, they also like to blame the Act for things that they don't want to do, like give CLI's, but it's not a complete dud. Just the usual mixed bag.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The terms and conditions for the Discover More card says:

The minimum payment each billing period will be $40 or 2% of the new balance, whichever is greater.

Not sure if I agree with this. I just checked my discover account and min payment due is $20.00. The card is always auto paid from discover on due date for full amount since I got the card. I checked the statement going back a few months and the min payment is always $20.00 - this too on varying balances of 271.xx, 204.xx etc....

This comes straight from my terms and conditions printed and mailed to me from Discover regarding my Discover More card. I keep all my paper work.

Message 23 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just goes to show that different accounts don't necessarily have the same terms.

Maybe asteroidblues has a different type of Discover card; maybe Discover hasn't caught up yet; maybe something else we don't know about.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 33
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i think it is the new cards only. different regluations have been applied to new cards. i also knoticed that 40 dollar minimum payment as i am a newer card member like wallpoppole. (its fine with me, just proves that DISCOVER "cares" a little more than the rest. my wells fargo only requires 5 dollars. (how predatory is that?)

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 25 of 33
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@scottwagnon wrote:

i think it is the new cards only. different regluations have been applied to new cards. i also knoticed that 40 dollar minimum payment as i am a newer card member like wallpoppole. (its fine with me, just proves that DISCOVER "cares" a little more than the rest. my wells fargo only requires 5 dollars. (how predatory is that?)

I've had my Discover since 2003 and I have the $40 minimum payments so it's not just new cards.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 26 of 33
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

My Minimum Payment goes up/down with the balance I have when the bill cuts.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 27 of 33
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

I wouldn't be giving them props for that! As said earlier on this thread, the increase in the min charge is just so they can charge you a higher late fee!

So far I still to see a CC who really "cares"! lol

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have $1673 on my Discover card and the minimum payment is $40. Card is only 3 months olds.
Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you talking about? Where do you get a 18% minimum payment? Are you talking per annum? Or on a monthly basis? Well, if it's monthly, then that would be close to 2%.  So yes, with that I'd agree. But with Discover, you can't set a percentage, since you must pay a minimum of $40 a month each and every month. Unless of course. the balance is less. And even then, they'd still probably require you to pay off the balance in full.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.