Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Score and Declined

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: High Score and Declined

@Anonymous wrote:

You might say, AMEX is Yale.  And they want to see your SAT scores and entire high school transcripts along with GPA.  They will compare that GPA to what courses you took (say basket weaving as compared to Advanced/College Prep Science and Math).  They may also want to see what other extra curricular or community activities and associations you had (mix) in evaluating your application.

txjohn -

Are you an alumni admissions committee member for an Ivy League university or a student's parent? The only thing you left out of that paragraph was athletic participation and that is becoming less important every year.

Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You might say, AMEX is Yale.  And they want to see your SAT scores and entire high school transcripts along with GPA.  They will compare that GPA to what courses you took (say basket weaving as compared to Advanced/College Prep Science and Math).  They may also want to see what other extra curricular or community activities and associations you had (mix) in evaluating your application.

txjohn -

Are you an alumni admissions committee member for an Ivy League university or a student's parent? The only thing you left out of that paragraph was athletic participation and that is becoming less important every year.

Not to stray too far off topic, but he did leave one essential element in determining admission to an Ivy League University -- "Contributions to the Endowment".

Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

txjohn -

Not to stray too far off topic, but he did leave one essential element in determining admission to an Ivy League University -- "Contributions to the Endowment".

Ahh, yes the endowment....shall we compare that to the say, AMEX Platinum Annual Fee?  Wait, how about the AMEX Black Card AF, I believe it was like $1200.  LOL.

Hopefully the analogy gave OP some sense of scores when it comes to getting credit.  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 44
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You deftly executed a lateral arabesque there with respect to my question.

Personally I always look forward to my call from the Annual Giving campaigns. It's the only call I get anymore from a PYT that I am not related to.

Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You deftly executed a lateral arabesque there with respect to my question.

Personally I always look forward to my call from the Annual Giving campaigns. It's the only call I get anymore from a PYT that I am not related to.

Smiley Wink

Oh, it was a question....sorry, I thought it was tongue in cheek.

No I am not in admittance, but yes I am a parent (6 kids). 

But I do have a friend who is in admittance, another in financial aid and another in alumni fund raising/booster.

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-22-2009 08:30 PM
Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX is Yale!  Smiley Wink

Wow TX - very well done.  I think I'll have my kids look that one over.  Superb!

Message Edited by utah2009 on 07-22-2009 09:49 PM
Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Coincidentally, Barclays is Harvard!
Message 27 of 44
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Coincidentally, Barclays is Harvard!

I have no idea how they got themselves stuck with such a dog issuer, but it's been that way for a long time.

Princeton is Platinum Plus Master Card w/World Points - BofA:

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?directMail=true&sc=UAAKHH

I am pretty sure it was with MBNA before this.

The problem with these affinity cards is that once you get into them they can be impossible to product change out of. I have zero affinity cards.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-23-2009 12:13 AM
Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be the topic for another thread, but many posters are looking for CUs.  Many colleges and universities have CU affiliation and are an excellent avenue for membership and relationships.

While many major banks offer university co-branded cards, they don't represent any special privileges to the cardholders.  For example, BofA offers a credit card for my alma mater.  The only benefactor would be the university which gets a percentage of fees.  Instead, I established a relationsip with the university credit union which has been extremely beneficial to me!

Message 29 of 44
My2cents
Regular Contributor

Orchard/Household is community college.

First Permiere is a GED program.

My2cents is smartSmiley Wink

700 Club Member
Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.