Senior Contributor

Re: High Score and Declined

txjohn wrote:

You might say, AMEX is Yale.  And they want to see your SAT scores and entire high school transcripts along with GPA.  They will compare that GPA to what courses you took (say basket weaving as compared to Advanced/College Prep Science and Math).  They may also want to see what other extra curricular or community activities and associations you had (mix) in evaluating your application.

txjohn -

Are you an alumni admissions committee member for an Ivy League university or a student's parent? The only thing you left out of that paragraph was athletic participation and that is becoming less important every year.

Frequent Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

txjohn wrote:

You might say, AMEX is Yale.  And they want to see your SAT scores and entire high school transcripts along with GPA.  They will compare that GPA to what courses you took (say basket weaving as compared to Advanced/College Prep Science and Math).  They may also want to see what other extra curricular or community activities and associations you had (mix) in evaluating your application.

txjohn -

Are you an alumni admissions committee member for an Ivy League university or a student's parent? The only thing you left out of that paragraph was athletic participation and that is becoming less important every year.

Not to stray too far off topic, but he did leave one essential element in determining admission to an Ivy League University -- "Contributions to the Endowment".

I want PATIENCE...and I want it NOW
Senior Contributor

illtakecreditforthat wrote:

txjohn wrote:

txjohn -

Not to stray too far off topic, but he did leave one essential element in determining admission to an Ivy League University -- "Contributions to the Endowment".

Ahh, yes the endowment....shall we compare that to the say, AMEX Platinum Annual Fee?  Wait, how about the AMEX Black Card AF, I believe it was like $1200.  LOL.

Hopefully the analogy gave OP some sense of scores when it comes to getting credit.  :smileyhappy:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Senior Contributor

You deftly executed a lateral arabesque there with respect to my question.

Personally I always look forward to my call from the Annual Giving campaigns. It's the only call I get anymore from a PYT that I am not related to.

:smileywink:

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

You deftly executed a lateral arabesque there with respect to my question.

Personally I always look forward to my call from the Annual Giving campaigns. It's the only call I get anymore from a PYT that I am not related to.

:smileywink:

Oh, it was a question....sorry, I thought it was tongue in cheek.

No I am not in admittance, but yes I am a parent (6 kids). 

But I do have a friend who is in admittance, another in financial aid and another in alumni fund raising/booster.

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-22-2009 08:30 PM

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Moderator Emeritus

[ Edited ]

AMEX is Yale!  :smileywink:

Wow TX - very well done.  I think I'll have my kids look that one over.  Superb!

Message Edited by utah2009 on 07-22-2009 09:49 PM
Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Frequent Contributor

Coincidentally, Barclays is Harvard!
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

illtakecreditforthat wrote:
Coincidentally, Barclays is Harvard!

I have no idea how they got themselves stuck with such a dog issuer, but it's been that way for a long time.

Princeton is Platinum Plus Master Card w/World Points - BofA:

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?directMail=true&sc=UAAKHH

I am pretty sure it was with MBNA before this.

The problem with these affinity cards is that once you get into them they can be impossible to product change out of. I have zero affinity cards.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-23-2009 12:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

This may be the topic for another thread, but many posters are looking for CUs.  Many colleges and universities have CU affiliation and are an excellent avenue for membership and relationships.

While many major banks offer university co-branded cards, they don't represent any special privileges to the cardholders.  For example, BofA offers a credit card for my alma mater.  The only benefactor would be the university which gets a percentage of fees.  Instead, I established a relationsip with the university credit union which has been extremely beneficial to me!

Regular Contributor

Orchard/Household is community college.

First Permiere is a GED program.

My2cents is smart:smileywink:

700 Club Member
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.