cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High UTI on one card .... Balance Transfer.

tag
u921333

High UTI on one card .... Balance Transfer.

Hello, Have a question if I would see much of a score change by doing a balance transfer.

I have a ok score high 600's to mid 700's depending on CRA. Aaoa is around 1.7 years oldest account is over 10 years. Currently My UTI on all cards is at 17-18% and have total listed of 4k of debt on report out of 24k available.

Now the question is I help/handle my grandma's accounts and she has one card that im an AU on that is only a 1700 limit and is charged to 1575 from some store card consolidations we did for her making it 93% uti. I know I could just remove me as a AU but I find it easier being listed on her accounts just in case she needs to make purchases I can do it for her. I could balance transfer the 1575 to one of my cards making her card 0% and one of mine 40% would that really have any huge impacts on score?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: High UTI on one card .... Balance Transfer.

@u921333 wrote:

Hello, Have a question if I would see much of a score change by doing a balance transfer.

I have a ok score high 600's to mid 700's depending on CRA. Aaoa is around 1.7 years oldest account is over 10 years. Currently My UTI on all cards is at 17-18% and have total listed of 4k of debt on report out of 24k available.

Now the question is I help/handle my grandma's accounts and she has one card that im an AU on that is only a 1700 limit and is charged to 1575 from some store card consolidations we did for her making it 93% uti. I know I could just remove me as a AU but I find it easier being listed on her accounts just in case she needs to make purchases I can do it for her. I could balance transfer the 1575 to one of my cards making her card 0% and one of mine 40% would that really have any huge impacts on score?

Well done for taking care of your grandma! Smiley Very Happy

If your utilization goes up, your score will drop. 

How much it'll exactly drop by really depends on other factors, such as AAoA, age of oldest account, number of tradelines, inquiries etc etc.

Generally speaking, your scores shouldn't drop too much. I am guessing that the worst case it'll drop your score by is up to 30 points. This is just my guess. It can be a lot more, or a lot less.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I didnt realize that being a AU on someone elses card, that you could transfer thier balance to one of your cards.

I know I could just remove me as a AU but I find it easier being listed on her accounts just in case she needs to make purchases I can do it for her. I could balance transfer the 1575 to one of my cards making her card 0% and one of mine 40%

I learn something every time I vist here!

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 3 of 5
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@ktl72455 wrote:

I didnt realize that being a AU on someone elses card, that you could transfer thier balance to one of your cards.

I could balance transfer the 1575 to one of my cards making her card 0% and one of mine 40%

I learn something every time I vist here!

I am not sure that they check that it is your account when you do a BT. Most places send checks that can be written to yourself (then depoitied and used to pay the CC you choose), or directly to the credit card you are paying off. I don't think the banks care as long as they get their money. 

To the OP, I think that the damage to your score will be relatively small since you are going from 17-18% overall util (4k bal of 24k avail) to approx 23% overall Util (5575 bal on 24k avail), but 40% on that one card. It is difficult to predict Fico scores, but you will likely take a small ding for having another card with a balance, as well as the increase util on that one card. You could try to get a CLI on one of your cards before you do the BT - thus eliminating/reducing  the ding to your utilization.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Having one maxed out card will be a pretty good ding on your score.  I'd wager doing the balance transfer will be an overall net gain in score.  Question is are you planning on applying for anything in the near future and how long will it take to pay the card down?  Doing the BT will most likely incur a 3% fee.  If your not going to be applying for anytime soon the score doesn't matter, save your/your grandma's money.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.