cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Utilization

tag

High Utilization

How worried should I be about the impact of high utilization? In October I had to put some health care debts on my credit cards and since then I've been at about 80% utilization on all 3 of my cards. I've been making my monthly payments of mostly the minimum plus +$200, but had to make one payment that was only the minimum. Next week I'll get some reimbursements that will allow me to pay off about 50% of the debt, and I should be able to get down to about 10% utilzation by April, but I'm concerned about the long term impact of these last 3 months on my credit scores.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: High Utilization

Greetings and welcome to the forum. Utilization has no memory. The thing I would worry about is having such a high UTL  and only making only the minimum payments. Some lenders could take AA on your account. However it looks like you are making min +$200 so you should be ok.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 2 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

There is almost no long term impacts of high UTI. Non when it comes to Fico scoring, the only long term impact would be if your current creditors freak out and slash your credit lines or raise your APRs, unless you're talking about a sudden 30k+ coming out of nowhere I wouldn't worry about it. 

Message 3 of 9
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

I dont think there's any long term impact other than the high probability of the other creditors knowing your might be in  trouble and closing down your accounts.  

If possible try to pay more than the minimum and don't use 50% or more of the available line on your other accounts.

A true story. 

My Uncle and I go hunting together and we use his cabella visa card to make purchases so to simplify cost sharing. 

He added my name to his account as a jjoint accountholder.  Credit line was only $1500.  

Several months later turns out my Uncle's son had been maxing his Discover card and making minimum payments.  

Cabella somehow found out about this and sent my uncle a letter explaining that due to his recent high debt and low credit scores they will be decreasing his line of credit to $750.    From $1500 to $750.  

When I found out about this I contacted my uncle right way to take my name of the joint account.  He gladly did it.. Cabella sent a form to sign to "request" removal of my name from the joint liability.  Well turns out that things could have happened at a worse time.  When he made the request it required the account to be reviewed before approval of removal.  A week later Cabela sent a letter that his account has been closed but the debt on the account can still be paid off.  So on his CR and my CR both show account closed by credit grantor and showed a  debt balance of a couple hundred dollars.  I finally took care of the debt and the account finally reflected a $0 balance.  

Bottom line is making minimum payments can impact underwriting decision if you initiate contact with creditors.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 4 of 9
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Great post. IMO, no need to worry. Sounds like you're doing everything right. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of calling in and having CSR note in my account when things like this come up. That's just my preference. 

edit: typo 

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm back down to 50% utlization and it feels good!

Message 6 of 9
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

Personally, I'm a big fan of calling in and having CSR note in my account when things like this come up. That's just my preference. 

Don't let on to any c/c co that you are tight on funds or anything that could raise a flag.  I heard on Howard Clark a story of a lady who lost her job and was living off her 20k CL.  She called to explain her sitch and requested a lower rate.  LOL  bet you can guess what happened next!

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

Don't let on to any c/c co that you are tight on funds or anything that could raise a flag.  I heard on Howard Clark a story of a lady who lost her job and was living off her 20k CL.  She called to explain her sitch and requested a lower rate.  LOL  bet you can guess what happened next!

Yes, I was surprised at lhcole77's approach, but I guess it has worked for him/her.

But my advice is never tell them anything they don't need to know!   If you have to miss payments or pay less than the minimum, yes, because you are going to get into trouble anyway and there may be some way of mitigating (or not!)   But just explaining that your utilization is high because of unexpected healthcare costs probably won't avoid any AA that would happen (bank has to protect itself) and may kick some action off.

With stuff like mortgages, where there are more considerable protections, you can start discussions when it appears that you will be unable to meet payments, but not with unsecured debt IMO!

Message 8 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

But my advice is never tell them anything they don't need to know!   

+1

Never offer more information than necessary.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.