cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High apr % on new cards.... How can I lower them?

tag
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

High apr % on new cards.... How can I lower them?

I have two new revolving credit cards that has extremely high aprs. Both my BofA(Accelerated AMEX) and Citi(Diamond Rewards) has 20.99, with an intro of 0% for 7 months on the bofa and 12 months on the Citi. When the 0% intro rate expires, do I just call and ask them to lower it? This 20.99% is insane compared to my 7.24% Bankamericard.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: High apr % on new cards.... How can I lower them?

@TheCreditKid wrote:

I have two new revolving credit cards that has extremely high aprs. Both my BofA(Accelerated AMEX) and Citi(Diamond Rewards) has 20.99, with an intro of 0% for 7 months on the bofa and 12 months on the Citi. When the 0% intro rate expires, do I just call and ask them to lower it? This 20.99% is insane compared to my 7.24% Bankamericard.

Use the zero percent offers if you have balances and worry about the APRD requests when no interest offers expire.  Also, PIF with these lenders is strongly recommended so APR should not be a mjr issue really.

In the interim no more app., since additional app will almost certainly make you look more risky, and yield poor terms of approval or denied app., particularly if a short history is an issue...in that case, no time like the present to let accts age to gain more credibility. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 3
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: High apr % on new cards.... How can I lower them?

Their plan is that the 0% for 7 months will entice some people to still have a balance when the promo period ends. They are looking for the high interest to get the money they lost during the promo period. Just make you don't fall for it and owe anything at the end of the 0% period. When you pay it off, you may find them offering another promo soon.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.