Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High credit limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High credit limits

What bothers me  is that the no-kill shelters normally won't take seniors since they're hard to adopt. I understand it but that's why I target them.

The last three we had were within a day or two of being put down. All of the seniors we have been lucky to have have been great dogs, one was my best bud for 6 1/2 years. He's been gone since 2008 but I still miss him regularly.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every case is different.  For me high CL are a result of a very long perfect credit history with high income.  i want high CL's because I actually use them and PIF unless 0% BT. I would NEVER pay before a statement cuts as I would lose the free float.  If I had lower CL's I would be forced to pay early.

i earn rewards from both high spend and sign up bonuses.  At least one vacation a year means 2 free business class tickets, free hotel nights and free rental car courtesy of points.  I never app for a card unless it helps me get free travel or free cash.  My first credit card was a Mastercharge with a $300 limit in the late 70's.  I've come a long way and don't ever forget it.  Don't use credit for "prestige" use it for free stuff! 

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have a high income $30k personal last year and $41 household last year.  I have $8500 available credit right now and will try for my 61 day cli on my amex next month but after that I think it is enough for me for the time being.  I like the idea of having enough so that my regular spend is not to high in utilization.  I pay in full but have 0% until spring of 2016 on all my cards so if I had a slightly higher cl i could make a larger purchase and pay over time without as much negative effect. 

Message 13 of 27
onstar
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

But, assuming you can pay in full (and if not low APR is more important than CL), utilization doesn't need to be an issue.  Just pay before the statement cuts and you can make your utilization anything.  So in this model, high CL saves you the slight hassle of doing this (and in higher interest environments some earned interest) but not really critical to credit score.

True. But for heavy spenders ($5000 monthly), the "some earned interest" could easily be $50 per year. But more than that, I think it's the psychology of using credit cards. I like knowing that I can buy something now and won't have to pay for a month. And if you time it right and buy something right after the statement cut date, then you have nearly two months to have to pay for it. And that makes me feel like a genius for working the system. Smiley Wink Of course, this is also how a lot of people can get in trouble.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 14 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

But, assuming you can pay in full (and if not low APR is more important than CL), utilization doesn't need to be an issue.  Just pay before the statement cuts and you can make your utilization anything.  So in this model, high CL saves you the slight hassle of doing this (and in higher interest environments some earned interest) but not really critical to credit score.

True. But for heavy spenders ($5000 monthly), the "some earned interest" could easily be $50 per year. But more than that, I think it's the psychology of using credit cards. I like knowing that I can buy something now and won't have to pay for a month. And if you time it right and buy something right after the statement cut date, then you have nearly two months to have to pay for it. And that makes me feel like a genius for working the system. Smiley Wink Of course, this is also how a lot of people can get in trouble.

Right, but $50 a year really doesn't do much does it?  "Wow, $1 a week" especially if a high spender.     BTW, I'm not against high limits at all, I just think the usual "utilization" reason trotted out here isn't always real.   Especially as utilization doesn't have a history in the score, so at most you need to micromanage it only when apping.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand the utilization factor. However, all of these high blance credit cards do affect you and even severely when it comes to buying a house or a loan in general.  Even if you do not use them, lenders (not credit card lenders) consider this a huge risk because you have the potential to use them and putting yourself in a lot of debt, which can affect them and increase the likelyhood of bankruptcy.

This is one the of the reasons experts WARN that when buying a house that you should NOT apply for any credit cards or any type of credit no matter how good your score is. lenders consider your AVAILABLE credit and not just credit used when evaluating you for a loan.  MANY mortgage loans have been LOST even after approval but before closing because people went out and got more credit.

For me personally, the biggest advantage for a high credit limit is when there is 0% apr for 12 months or longer. This can be like a short term inerest free loan.  After that, the high limits have little value. Unless of course I had to use them for an emergency, but that should be avoided at all cost because the interest rates are not worth the use, unless an actual emegency arises and then it should be paid off immediately, which becomes very hard especially if you did not have the cash to begin with.

For those who only charge between $50-$200 a month and pay them off, I really do not see the point of huge limits and wanting more.

Well, that is my two cents. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand the utilization factor. However, all of these high blance credit cards do affect you and even severely when it comes to buying a house or a loan in general.  Even if you do not use them, lenders (not credit card lenders) consider this a huge risk because you have the potential to use them and putting yourself in a lot of debt, which can affect them and increase the likelyhood of bankruptcy.

This is one the of the reasons experts WARN that when buying a house that you should NOT apply for any credit cards or any type of credit no matter how good your score is. lenders consider your AVAILABLE credit and not just credit used when evaluating you for a loan.  MANY mortgage loans have been LOST even after approval but before closing because people went out and got more credit.

For me personally, the biggest advantage for a high credit limit is when there is 0% apr for 12 months or longer. This can be like a short term inerest free loan.  After that, the high limits have little value. Unless of course I had to use them for an emergency, but that should be avoided at all cost because the interest rates are not worth the use, unless an actual emegency arises and then it should be paid off immediately, which becomes very hard especially if you did not have the cash to begin with.

For those who only charge between $50-$200 a month and pay them off, I really do not see the point of huge limits and wanting more.

Well, that is my two cents. Smiley Wink

I tend to agree, however we as card applicants do not have control over how the CCC determines the credit limit they are going to grant. Rather, we have to decide whether the benefits of having the card (which includes sign up bonuses on a large number of cards due to the competitive lending environment) are worth apping. Then, because people work on improving their credit handling, that can lead to better FICO scores, and it naturally results in CCC giving higher limits, and more cards being available, and the lenders like good credit risks.

My Freedom card, at $1,500 is more than adequate for the category spend I have on that card, and I'll never overrun that Venture $30k limit, but in most cases, we don't directly control that CL as it is granted by the CCC. I did limit myself on my last AMEX Delta CLI to only go from $9k to $12k, but that is as much to leave potential lending room for any other AMEX revolvers, which, as it turns out, is the SPG this week.

And I have had situations where the larger limit matters. 18 months ago I had to charge a $4,500 transmission replacement. The Capital One $10k limit came in very handy right then.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of the best reward cards are minimum 5k limits. If all your current cards are 1500, 2500 3500 limits, the new one you wish to app won't be as inclined to hand you the keys if your score or history are in its grey area.

That being said there are some sweetheart cards around such as venture, but nothing last forever if your scores are high no worry about these little details trends and tricks.
Message 18 of 27
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new here and in a sense to credit cards in general (although I've been using them for many years). I've been browsing around through various credit card forums and have noticed that people get really competitive and really excited over credit limits...which some of them are sky high.

Can I ask why? It can't be merely because it can improve your credit score, or is it? what is the point of having a $15,000 max?

In addition, going off on a tangent, why do so many people have such high reward cards with such high limits? Wouldn't it take forever to reach a reward?
I also get the impression that cc experts don't pay of their bill fully each month (but maybe leave a dollar or two)....true?

1st, welcome to the forums

and to answer your question, personally I like high CC limits because I spend a lot! Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can I ask why? It can't be merely because it can improve your credit score, or is it? what is the point of having a $15,000 max?

People vary.  Utilization is one consideration.  However, some have such limits just to boast or because they get a kick out of it.

The point is subjective.  You can't assume that $X is the same for everyone.  Any $X might be a toy limit to some, sufficient for others, and insufficient for others.  Again, people vary.  Budgets vary.  Spend varies.

All that really matters is that you sort out whatever it is that specifically works for you.

@Anonymous wrote:
In addition, going off on a tangent, why do so many people have such high reward cards with such high limits? Wouldn't it take forever to reach a reward?

Depends on one's spend.  Again, people and spend vary.  If it does take forever to accrue enough to redeem then one probably selected the wrong card.  It's up to the individual to do the research, consider the individual's spend and crunch the numbers before applying.

@Anonymous wrote:

I also get the impression that cc experts don't pay of their bill fully each month (but maybe leave a dollar or two)....true?

No.  You're confusing "allow a small balance to report" with "carry a small balance".  Report and carry are two entirely different things.  You can pay a statement in full and have it report.  It's all a matter of when the payment is made.  If the paryment is made prior to the report date then the reported balance is reduced.  If the payment is made after the report date then the payment has no impact on the reported balance.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.