Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High credit limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High credit limits

I do not see 5k-10K cards "high" limits.  I see them as average. CC' with under 5K are often just starters they give to people with less than stellar credit.

I also totally get using them to increase and maintain your credit scores.  I actually learned that from this forum a couple of years ago (thank you all Smiley Tongue) I also totally get having HIGH limits for those who travel a lot, for business etc.

What I was referring to are people who seem to feel the need to just having really high limits, on most if not all of their cards, which actually hurts if or when they go to get a loan.

I have seen posters with over 100K and 200K worth of credit limits (or at leasting claiming that high).  Seriously, who needs that much credit. If you have that much income to just put toward cc', you should have enough cash in your bank account to just pay for things with your visa debit card.

Go to a bank for a loan with that much credit availble to you with even a 100K-200K income and see if that does not scare the pants off of them.

I have read many of these forums and it sems to me that some people have become obbessed with getting as many cc' as possible and getting their limits sky high.

So I would just caution others who are looking to rebuild their credit, stabalize it and plan to buy a house, car, need a loan etc to stay rational and do not get obbessed with cc'.  They can be a great tool but can also be your worst nightmare.

Myself and many others (from what I have read and people I know)  had lots of cc' with decent and even high limits when we were younger and ended up finding reasons (too many) for using them and before we knew it, the promos ended, our plan of paying them off by then became impossible and interest started adding up really fast, and before we knew it, paymets started getting late, until the payments had to stop altogether.  And we all know what hapens to our credit once payments go late.  We justify the first one or two and reason that we can recover our credit over time (1-2 years), but then the lates continue and we start seeing recovery impossible until we finally stop fighting it.  The calls start coming in which we avoid, and then we play phone detective (whose calling, why are they calling and where are they from) caller id becomes a MUST, blocked or unavailable calls are never answered for the next 7+ years. 

For us, we also suddenly realized what it is like to pay cash again, and it soon become great not having to worry about still owing for the puchase or having to worry about paying interest on it. We also started appreciateing the things we did have more and understanding that we do not NEED it just because we WANT it. 

We actually became so obessed  with paying cash for everything we decided to NEVER have a ccs or even credit again long after our credit had cleared up.

However, this too has consiquences we did not think about or expect.

We went from great credit, to bad credit to NO credit.  As most of here know, No credit is just as bad as bad credit, at least at the beginning. You have to start with secured cards etc.  For us, we did not realize the impact of no credit until we went to buy a car. We planned to buy one cash but soon found the one we actually liked most, required more cash than we had at the time, we could have waited about 5-6 months and bought it cash but once we started looking, you get that "I want it now" feeling.

Needless to say, the dealer (happened to be the dealership manager) was AWESOME. He did nto just get us the brand new car we wanted with basically NO credit, he got us 0% interest and $1,250 cash back. He also gave us SUPER advice which also helped us set ourselves up for buying another house two years down the road when we decided it was time. Oh we did also put 30% down.

I wanted to pay the car off in 6 months, because I now LOVED not owing anyone anything. He advised not to in order to start building a credit history again. We also realized some otehr blunders we had made regardign our student loan ovr 8 years prior.  We had been paying them the entire 8 years on time, over $500 per month but because they had been in default status the entire time, we had not been getting reported to our credit report. We then found out they should have been rehabs over 8 years ago, which not only lowered our payments but they would not be reported to our credit and we would get retro active reporting.  Once we regrouped and fixed our blunders, we went from no credit and no history, to over 16 years of history (thanks to student loans), the car loan was on there with perfect history, got a secured card at first. Bought a house last year and now have real credit cards etc.

But, much of what we learned the last couple of years was because of this forum.  From what I have found, 99% of the info is stellar, 1% can be dangerous for many unless they learn the stellar stuff first.

I also want to say that the whole credit nightmare did have some positive affects as well. Not only did we learn the difference between need and want, we also learned how to save money again. When you do not have cc' to just buy large ticket items, you learn to SAVE for them. You learn to appreciate the money you make and you actually KNOW what you are buying. When you have plenty of credit cards, you just buy it now without any thought of what you are spending and then tend to make payments on it. losing the value of what you actually bought years, months or even days ago.  However, when you are handing over $500- 5K+ cash (debit card) that item seems to have a lot more value and appreciation to you.

We no longer look at cc' or credit the same. We see them as just available LOANS, all with interest at some point. Yes some credit cards can have perks that benefit us, but it is a slippery slope and those benefits today can turn out to be our nightmares later if we do not see them for what they really are, LOANS.

For us, CASH is still KING, credit cards are just insurance policies for emergencies and small 30 day quickie loans if needed or if we are seeking the rewards for something.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the point of having a $15,000 max?

Why must there be a point to it?

$15,000 dollars.  Seriously... $15K!!!.  

Would your brother/sister/relative let you borrow $15K?  But some perfect stranger just trusted you enough to hand you $15K after you filled out 2 minutes worth of paperwork..

That's just pure badassness ... no need to "have a point".  Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should have limits that are triple the amount you'd ever put on them. Now, having 15 of said cards IS excessive if your income or history do not support it.

Everyones at a different point on their credit journey. Some are doing a repeat/restart, some are watching siblings screw up and have a personal experience to not do that and seek guidance, and some have done well but have left cash and rewards on the table for decades. I'm past the rebuilding stage, if i got a 10k raise at work, i do not need to pursue 30k of extra credit. When you have 1  bank card 1 store card , you sure as heck do, and should.

Tangent but i think they should break up "credit card" sub forum into cash back style rewards and travel. 

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I can sort this out for you...

Aside from all the rewards and cash back bonuses that credit cards offer today, the single most important aspect of even having a credit card is the purpose of cash flow. I now have two credit cards that I use, one for daily use and another for big purchases or emergencies. It is important to have high limits to properly assure yourself that if any major purchases NEED to be done, it can be purchased without affecting your immediate cash flow, aka liquid assets (checking & savings). I think a good rule of thumb is to have a credit card for daily use with a limit that is roughly 3-4X your average monthly expenditures. So if you spend $3,000 a month on your credit card, a credit limit of $9k -$12k would be just fine in the case you needed to carry your balance when the statement cut, as to not affect your Utilization. You should always pay your CC balance in full no matter what on your daily use credit card. If you're not able to, then you're obviously spending beyond your means...

The same goes for an emergency card. Let's say your refrigerator or car engine goes out, that purchase would be anywhere from $2,000 - $5,000 dollars. So it would be safe to assume that having an emergency card with at least $8k-$15k credit limit would be sufficient to not affect your utilization that much. Now obviously it may be hard to pay an emergency purchase back right at the end of the month, so having the balance lets you assess future cash flows and the ability to pay down the balance accordingly.

And always remember, at the end of the day, CASH IS KING.

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have more in limits than I'll ever use. In fact, my utilization has been sitting at only 2% for months now. But I still chase credit limit increases all the time. Why? Ego.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new here and in a sense to credit cards in general (although I've been using them for many years). I've been browsing around through various credit card forums and have noticed that people get really competitive and really excited over credit limits...which some of them are sky high.

Can I ask why? It can't be merely because it can improve your credit score, or is it? what is the point of having a $15,000 max?

In addition, going off on a tangent, why do so many people have such high reward cards with such high limits? Wouldn't it take forever to reach a reward?
I also get the impression that cc experts don't pay of their bill fully each month (but maybe leave a dollar or two)....true?

Yes, it can get very competitive here (who can get the most cards, highest CL etc), dont make that mistake and apply like crazy just to compete with others.  On a second note, high CLs are good should you have an emergency and keeps your UTL low.

If you already spend $3k+/month in bills (gas, groceries, utilities, cell, home tv, home phone etc), is good to take advange of the rewards.  It becomes a problem when you only spend $3k/month and you have $3k/month in income and have 3 or 4 cards that you need to meet the spending on.  Outcome - Now you have too much debt only because you wanted the rewards from various cards.

Yup, that's right.  You need to show usage on cards to help your scores.  Too high of a balances reporting is not suggested.

Message 26 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have seen posters with over 100K and 200K worth of credit limits (or at leasting claiming that high).  Seriously, who needs that much credit. If you have that much income to just put toward cc', you should have enough cash in your bank account to just pay for things with your visa debit card.

Go to a bank for a loan with that much credit availble to you with even a 100K-200K income and see if that does not scare the pants off of them.

I really don't think that is (necessarily) true.   I've had no problems getting mortgages with available credit somewhat above that.    Now if I had utilized a large portion, yes, or if something in my credit report looked bad.    But the most I found with one lender was that they used the "minimum payment" listed in the CR (even with 0 balances) as a portion of my monthly debt servicing.   But that was $15-25 per card, so wasn't that critical

And we all there are good reasons for using credit cards rather than debit, especially when you PIF.

Now that's not to say that some of your basic points aren't right, there is a sort of competition here to get high CLs, every CLI is celebrated needed or not etc.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.