Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High limit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

High limit cards

After a succesful app spree, I've got the itch to settle down and make a plan for the next few years of CC growth. I'm not planning on applying for anything new for at least 6 months, but I personally prefer to have a plan well in advance so I can make adjustments that lead me in the right direction. Because I know there are a good number of high rollers here, I know that some of you all may have been down this same path already. I'd appreciate your advice on a good direction to take.

Goals:

Total exposure of 100k+ with 2 lenders other than AMEX (already have sufficient exposure here.) On my report. I know that Chase is likely to be difficult with my 5/24 status. 

3 Revolving cards with 50k+ cl on my report

1 Revolving cards with 40k+ on DW's report

Details:
Scores are currently hovering around 750, all bureaus. I'll garden for a bit if needed.

In with: Discover, AMEX, Chase, Citi, Barclays, Cap1

High CL: 40k, Chase Ritz, DW 20k, Chase CSR

Income and Assets: Definitely sufficient

Geolock: Bluegrass region

Other loan needs: None, sufficient assets to buy and refinance when needed. Margin priveleges sufficient for short term financing.

5/24 status: I am way over, DW is 3/24

Reasons:

Primarily to keep UTIL at acceptable levels. Household spending is 10-15k per month. I don't really want to pay in any way other than autopay and would like to keep util under control. I know it doesn't really matter if I'm not seeking other loans, but it leaves me with a little better flexibility.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: High limit cards

OP, with your profile I'd certainly say that Bank of America would love to have you as a customer.  They can offer generous lines right out of the gate, and while they've always been HPs for us, the results of CLI requests have been jaw-dropping over the past year - we went from about $25k on two cards last spring to over $120k on 4 cards (I'll be combining 3 of them next year) today.

Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, K, as i was reading my first though was Boa with those 75k + limits weve seen here hahaSmiley Happy

The other obvious choice for op would definetly be a Credit Union like Penfed and Navy. With op's profile and income, getting huge limits should be no problem. If op wants to try to break 5/24 and get more Chase, maybe do some more banking with them, that can open otherwise closed doors .
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, K, as i was reading my first though was Boa with those 75k + limits weve seen here hahaSmiley Happy

The other obvious choice for op would definetly be a Credit Union like Penfed and Navy. With op's profile and income, getting huge limits should be no problem. If op wants to try to break 5/24 and get more Chase, maybe do some more banking with them, that can open otherwise closed doors .

I have a long term business and personal banking relationship with Chase, but don't care for their investment products. As a result, I'm well below their private client threshold. I'm probably going to keep pushing the limit on my Ritz card through cobrand apps and limit combination rather than CLI requests. I'll probably have my wife app for a CSP for the bonus and combine it with her CSR before the AF posts.

I'd consider a CU, but don't know which will have the greatest total exposure limit for CC. I thought I saw someone mention that Navy is roughly 50k, and don't know about Penfed. It looks like First Tech could be an option, but I can't tell if they are geolocked.

I'll definitely look into BOA.

Anyone have thoughts on US Bank? I've got a business and personal relationship there as well, but no cards. 

Sadly, all of my major holdings are with investment banks that only offer cards through AMEX.

Message 4 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For NFCU, the cards are capped at $50k each and $80k for the Flagship Rewards.  My wife's BOA card is at $60k and they can certainly go much much higher.  Also worth noting that a former Amex employee here verified they had seen numerous 6-digit Amex revolvers and even one at a cool mil.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

For NFCU, the cards are capped at $50k each and $80k for the Flagship Rewards.  My wife's BOA card is at $60k and they can certainly go much much higher.  Also worth noting that a former Amex employee here verified they had seen numerous 6-digit Amex revolvers and even one at a cool mil.

Thanks, that is super helpful for NFCU and BOA. Is NFCU still possible to get in with outside of indirect military affiliation?

I'm not worried about having revolvers with AMEX other than for bonuses; I've got plenty of exposure with them through my charge cards which don't have an effect on util anyway. I'm only interested in adding the other banks and cultivating these relationships in case I ever have a temporary FR shutdown with AMEX or similar with Chase. I have the documentation to get through an FR, but it would be a problem for me during the process.

Message 6 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Doesnt USBank have a premium new travel card that seems to give out 40k + limits. Yeah i was gonna mention First Tech but i think they are NorhWest US?.

Ive seen a couple posters sport huge imits on the Citi DC so thats a possibiltySmiley Wink
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Doesnt USBank have a premium new travel card that seems to give out 40k + limits. Yeah i was gonna mention First Tech but i think they are NorhWest US?.

Ive seen a couple posters sport huge imits on the Citi DC so thats a possibiltySmiley Wink

I'm aware of the Altitude, but people seem to think that US Bank is generally conservative. Not sure they'll push me all the way to a 100k relationship.

I'll poke around for some of those high limit Citi datapoints. Thanks for the tip; I thought they were pretty conservative as well.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small update, but first a sincere thank you to Joe and K. Super helpful comments to get on the right track and find the right cards to search.

Game Plan:

• No apps for me for the next 6 months. SP cli only. Consider selling real estate that is carrying a small mortgage and in a hot market.
  • After meeting spend requirements on an existing card - Wife apps for CSP. Hit bonus, transfer UR, combine with CSR. She gardens so she can stay under 5/24. 
  • 6 months - App for USB AR. If approved, PC AMEX Plat to Green.
  • 6 months - App for membership with First Tech and Odyssey (doesn't appear to be geolocked.) PC arrival+ if approved as this replaces Chip+PIN.
  • 6 months - App for Citi Card. DC or Prestige depending on travel needs. Prestige bonus isn't a big concern if I've got several multi-day hotel stays upcoming and the benefits don't change a lot. Consider downgrading Thank You Premier to Preferred or DC
  • 6 months - Probable business application due to upcoming expansion. AMEX is likely; may need to close an existing line.
  • Check scores and app for non 5/24 Chase card for future combination with Ritz if still reasonable.
  • No apps for 6 months. SP cli only.
  • 1 year - App for second USB card. No clue as to what that would be yet; landscape can change tremendously in this time. Consider PC from AR if I'm not using the full benefit package.
  • 1 year - Take a HP if needed to push Odyssey CL. Consider an additional First Tech card instead or in addition to.
  • 1 year - App for Citi Card. Opposite of what I tried for last time.
  • Check scores and app for non 5/24 Chase card for future combination with Ritz or to keep.

Hopefully this cycle can continue for the next couple of years and push the relationship limits pretty high. It looks like I've got a reasonable shot of being at 3 50k+ cards within the 2 year timeline (only $8500 left to go with a Chase card,) but I'm wondering if my 2 100k relationships will pan out. I still might throw BoA in the mix, but I'm not too excited about their rewards library. I need to decide if the friendly underwriting standards for this situation outweigh the rewards other vendors are offering.

I'm sure this plan is far from perfect, so if anyone can provide a course correction I'd love to hear it.

Message 9 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP do you have some sort of account with US Bank? That is currently a requirement for the Altitude card. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.