Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High utilization ..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

High utilization ..

I was wondering if having high utilization hurts ur score in the long run...I'm close to 90% percent for like about 4 months But never missed a payment gave more that the required . Just that I'm planning to pay off everything with my tax refund . Im not applying for anything or anything of that sort , but just wondering if it hurts on the long run having that high util show?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

Re: High utilization ..

It hurts only until you pay it down and the card or cards in question report the new limit - then the pain is gone!

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 2 of 9
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

90% utlilization is killing your score.  You should see a pretty significant increase as you pay it down.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your credit score is a snapshot in time.  It has no memory.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

SWEET! Lol I should be good then April comes it'll mark one year of credit history and the first thing I'm going to apply for is the zync and discover more.
Message 5 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your credit score is a snapshot in time.  It has no memory.

The credit report has no history of utilization, so only the current utilization matters.     That is why I only worry about utilization when I want to apply for more credit.  

Message 6 of 9
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

90% utlilization is killing your score.  You should see a pretty significant increase as you pay it down.

I really should read a whole post before responding.  I didn't notice the 'in the long run' part. hehe

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow.  That's good to know.  I was starting to think I knew everything about credit scoring until I read that.

Message 8 of 9
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

@seattletravels wrote:

I really should read a whole post before responding.  I didn't notice the 'in the long run' part. hehe

Technically you were right, you just didn't catch that part Smiley Very Happy

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.