Super Contributor

Re: Higher limit cards?

@QCTRAV wrote:
65 percent

To High when looking for large limits Pay down first

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@QCTRAV wrote:
65 percent

To High when looking for large limits Pay down first

apply for the Duck or Beaver Card... hope you get approved for $15k and BT all this debt to 1 place to bring that util WAY DOWN!

Message 12 of 19
QCTRAV
Valued Member

What is the duck or bever card
Starting Fico Score 589 Current 640

QSO $2000 ; Cap 1 Secured $300 ; First Premiere Secured ; $300 ; Piedmont Advantage CU CC $1000 ; Barclay s Rewards $1000 ; Chase Amazon Visa $500

In the Garden 5/14 until 5/15
Message 13 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

oregon duck card or beaver card... if you google you will find link....

it's a credit union that offers these 2 cards to people outside of oregon and you don't need to joint the credit union and MANY have been applying for last 2 or so weeks on board and getting approvals for $15, $20, and $25k pretty simply.

My partner just got approved for $15k tue.

Message 14 of 19
Luscher
Valued Contributor

You need to get that util down as low as possible before applying
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 15 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Credit score alone will not grant an approval. With your current util, be prepared for 1. Denial 2. low CL or 3. high APR.
Message 16 of 19
alvon123
Super Contributor

65% utilization is way to high, I would recommend your friend pay down  his credit cards to at least 10% . IMO, banks might think giving higher limits with that much util is risky.

Message 17 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Credit score alone will not grant an approval. With your current util, be prepared for 1. Denial 2. low CL or 3. high APR.

^ This.  It's never about just one single factor such as score.  There are no simple and direct relationships such as "X score = Y credit limit".

I'm essentiially repeating what Lexie's saying but it can't be emphasized enough.  One can certainly get approvals with high utilization but the terms will not be favorable.  With high utilization Chase would only approve me for a Slate with a $2K limit and the highest APR in the bracket.  Once I dropped my utilization (no other changes aside from ~6 months time) I was able to get cards from Chase with $25K limits and my APR's were at the bottoms of the brackets.  Not saying your friend's credit and situation could support these limits and APR's but just providing that as an example of how limiting high utilization can be.

Message 18 of 19
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@QCTRAV wrote:
My friend has a 715 score And is looking for the highest limit card he can get for the score... Any ideas?

@QCTRAV wrote:
65 percent

They say util has no history. Imagine you can get a short-term loan to zero your cards. Your score is likely to increase considerably. You apply and get approved for some nice cards; one may come with 0% APR for a year. As months go by, you charge everyday stuff on this card and pay off your loan during the first half year, then focus on bringing down the card the second half year. Some discipline is needed of course.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.