Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher status Cards from national banks/credit unions

tag
romey050500
New Contributor

Higher status Cards from national banks/credit unions

What are there highest status cards that reasonably available at the national banks?

American Express - Platinum card

Chase - CSP

BOA - ???

Citi - ???

NFCU - Flahship?

USAA???

Barclay - Black Card?

Discover - IT?

Am I missing some banks? Do you agree?

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Higher status Cards from national banks/credit unions

@romey050500 wrote:

What are there highest status cards that reasonably available at the national banks?

American Express - Platinum card

Chase - CSP

BOA - ???

Citi - ???

NFCU - Flahship?

USAA???

Barclay - Arrival?

Discover - IT?

Am I missing some banks? Do you agree?

Not quite sure what the question means, is it really "normal" cards with the highest AF (so the Amex Plat rather than the equivalent requirement Gold or Green)?

If so, Chase has cards like the United Club, $395, Citi has the Prestige for about $400.

Message 2 of 14
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Barclay also offers a Black Card (made of carbon fiber) - though I don't know how it compares to the "Arrival", in terms of status.

https://www.blackcard.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1476&cellNumber=4&referrerid=LNKBIBXXXX&si...

Message 3 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@romey050500 wrote:

How, exaclty are you ranking "status"?

@romey050500 wrote:

Am I missing some banks?

If the intent is to incldue all national banks you're missing quite a number of them.

Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

Barclay also offers a Black Card (made of carbon fiber) - though I don't know how it compares to the "Arrival", in terms of status.

https://www.blackcard.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1476&cellNumber=4&referrerid=LNKBIBXXXX&si...

While that card is (correctly) derided as a cheap rip-off, in the wider world I'm sure Arrival has no status at all.

Message 5 of 14
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

BofA would be the Priviledges Cash Rewards card right?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@romey050500 wrote:

Define "status".  Means nothing to me.  A card is a card.  Any status a card might or might not have is inherent to the person doing so -- not the card itself.

It seems often to be used here (and on similar forums) to roughly mean "demonstrate high credit worthiness" and none of the generally available cards do that.   And if we want to equate status with wealth, high status people don't carry cards, they have their "people" to deal with such little details for them.

Message 7 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@romey050500 wrote:

Define "status".  Means nothing to me.  A card is a card.  Any status a card might or might not have is inherent to the person doing so -- not the card itself.

It seems often to be used here (and on similar forums) to roughly mean "demonstrate high credit worthiness" and none of the generally available cards do that.   And if we want to equate status with wealth, high status people don't carry cards, they have their "people" to deal with such little details for them.

I think that's overstated; I've met a near billionaire previously over a handful of occassions and he purchased things just like everyone else.

Likewise encountered high powered executives from companies everyone's heard of, they may not quite have the same wealth or "status" but I think youl'll find under the surface that the gold-plated elite aren't complete aliens and cover the gamut from incredibly extreme to utterly normal.  This particular habit is no different, though I suspect if you get outside the States, some cultures are admittedly different.

        
Message 8 of 14
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@romey050500 wrote:

I think that's overstated; I've met a near billionaire previously over a handful of occassions and he purchased things just like everyone else.

Likewise encountered high powered executives from companies everyone's heard of, they may not quite have the same wealth or "status" but I think youl'll find under the surface that the gold-plated elite aren't complete aliens and cover the gamut from incredibly extreme to utterly normal.  This particular habit is no different, though I suspect if you get outside the States, some cultures are admittedly different.

I work for a guy with a $25mm+ Net Worth (part of my job is managing that) and he uses a Nordstrom Siggy everyday.  I think, at a certain point, you stop caring about status because you are the status

Message 9 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@romey050500 wrote:

I work for a guy with a $25mm+ Net Worth (part of my job is managing that) and he uses a Nordstrom Siggy everyday.  I think, at a certain point, you stop caring about status because you are the status

I work with and know a lot of people that are extremely wealthy (billionaires). They almost always care most about service. These types of people aren't going to spend 2 hours researching how to best spend their UR points on a United saver award ticket, they just want their charges to go through when they swipe and to be able to reach someone on the phone immediately if they have a problem. Rewards are just icing on the cake. That's why cards like the Palladium and Centurion can get away with charging such high AFs for what a lot of people would consider a mediocre rewards program; people are paying for service, not better rewards.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.