cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest earning gas card? Out of options..

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Highest earning gas card? Out of options..

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm contemplating the Ducks Unlimited Visa (5% unlimited cash back on gas). Issued by First Bank, same as the NRA card, but 0.5% of every purchase helps fund wetlands conservation. Not a lot of forum posts about it, however.

www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunlimited/landingpage/visaplat/

Someone brings it up every couple months it seems. It still has $25 increment redemption requirements and NO sign-up bonus, unlike the NRA card. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/5-Gas-Card/m-p/5108388

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 51 of 63
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm contemplating the Ducks Unlimited Visa (5% unlimited cash back on gas). Issued by First Bank, same as the NRA card, but 0.5% of every purchase helps fund wetlands conservation. Not a lot of forum posts about it, however.

www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunlimited/landingpage/visaplat/

Someone brings it up every couple months it seems. It still has $25 increment redemption requirements and NO sign-up bonus, unlike the NRA card. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/5-Gas-Card/m-p/5108388

I hate to ask but do you have something against this card or something? Yes someone seems to bring it up every so often. But then again, you reply to it every time to tell people that. Before this month, the last thread on this board that mentions this card was from 2015 when the rewards structure was totally different. It has its good and bad. Sure it has the same rewards structure as the NRA card and no SUB but it's also not an NRA card which can matter to some people.

Message 52 of 63
nexace
New Contributor

By far the best card for cash back on gas purchases is the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus AMEX. It is 5% flat, no gimmicks.

You don’t need to be in the military to be a USAA member. Call them and ask if you are eligible. If anyone if your or your spouse’s prior direct lineage was a servicemember, then you are eligible.

Discover IT:21500 | Amex BCE:21900 | TJX:6000 | First Bankcard:10000 | Home Depot:8000 | Walmart:10000 | Citi Diamond Preferred:17600 | Citi Double Cash:7000 | USAA Limitless:24500 | Uber Visa:6000 | Wells Fargo Cash Wise:6000 | USAA Cashback Rewards Plus:15000 | Target Red Card:1500 | US Bank Cash+:10000 | Chase Slate:2000 | Amazon Visa:2000 | Chase Freedom:11000 | Citi Costco:10500
--------------------------------------------
FICO 8's: EX-835 / TU-837 / EQ-840
Message 53 of 63
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@nexace wrote:
By far the best card for cash back on gas purchases is the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus AMEX. It is 5% flat, no gimmicks.

You don’t need to be in the military to be a USAA member. Call them and ask if you are eligible. If anyone if your or your spouse’s prior direct lineage was a servicemember, then you are eligible.

At the risk of derailing this thread I just want to point out that USAA membership is a bit more nuanced than just having someone in your direct lineage be a servicemember... the short-version is that you can only inherit USAA membership from a parent. 

To inherit from a grandparent your parent must first become a member... there are several folks on here who are locked out because of this stipulation.

This is discussed in more detail over in Personal Finance

This thread is one of several that goes into more detail:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/USAA-Membership-Workaround/m-p/5015482

Message 54 of 63
nexace
New Contributor

Or you can inherit USAA membership from yourself, as is the case in the vast majority of membership. Serve in the armed forces.

Discover IT:21500 | Amex BCE:21900 | TJX:6000 | First Bankcard:10000 | Home Depot:8000 | Walmart:10000 | Citi Diamond Preferred:17600 | Citi Double Cash:7000 | USAA Limitless:24500 | Uber Visa:6000 | Wells Fargo Cash Wise:6000 | USAA Cashback Rewards Plus:15000 | Target Red Card:1500 | US Bank Cash+:10000 | Chase Slate:2000 | Amazon Visa:2000 | Chase Freedom:11000 | Citi Costco:10500
Message 55 of 63
SBR249
Established Contributor

@nexace wrote:

@nexace wrote:
Or you can inherit USAA membership from yourself, as is the case in the vast majority of membership. Serve in the armed forces.

Or I can just accept that I'm not eligible and will not be joining the armed forces just so I can join USAA. 

Message 56 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SBR249 wrote:

@nexace wrote:

@nexace wrote:

Or I can just accept that I'm not eligible and will not be joining the armed forces just so I can join USAA. 

Another way would be to find a spouse who's eligible Smiley Wink 

Message 57 of 63
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I see this thread still going strong.  But I've also seen other folks who are asking:

Is it worth it to spend $1,500 to get $75 (5%)??

I guess we all have different perspectives.  We normally see the 5% on gas from either Discover or Chase Freedom twice a year, or 6 months of the year.  And they are both 5%.  For most people, do not max out the $1,500 each quarter just on gas. 

Message 58 of 63
nexace
New Contributor

Bronzetrader - I don’t get what you’re asking. At least where I live, I drive everywhere if I have to get somewhere. That means that I am paying for gas one way or the other and there is no way around that. All in all for me and my spouse it’s about $3000 a year. Since we have to spend that money, it’s too easy to just have a 5% gas card for that purpose and get back an easy $150 essentially for free. The same logic goes for any other 5% return whether Freedom or IT rotating categories, or Cash+ cell phone bill and gym membership, 4% at restaurants with Uber Visa, 3%’s on groceries and Walmart pickup and on and on, 2.5% on everything with USAA Limitless. I know you get the idea but my point is that if you are spending the money anyway and you understand how to use cash back for your benefit, you are essentially throwing money away if you don’t.

I mean, I have to pay utilities to keep my lights on and water flowing and there is no way around that. Once I get a chance to travel through Ohio I will be **bleep** sure to stop by a Huntington bank to grab the Voice card for that very purpose. (Since they don’t allow out of state apps)

That’s just my philosophy. If I’m missing something please let me know because after all, I like money.

Message 59 of 63
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I totally agree with you.  Just that some folks still question if it is worthwhile to get the 5% gas bonus.  And here we searching for the best gard card.  

Just to sum it up, with the Discover and Chase Freedom, we get 5% almost 6 months of the year.  Then we get different other cards to cover the other 6 month.  If you get more cards and use gift cards, you can certainly get 5% for year around.  Get some Wawa and Exxon gift cards at 5% gas rewards...

Message 60 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.