Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest limit credit card with 676 credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highest limit credit card with 676 credit score

I was recently approved for a credit card from Cap one with CL of $200. And I'm just starting out in building up my credit. It's my only account on file. I applied in April and it's been 3 months old. Anyone got approved for anything higher with a credit score of 676 or below? I just need to know what kind of CL's I'm looking at if I want to apply for more accounts.
17 REPLIES 17
python0704
New Contributor

Re: Highest limit credit card with 676 credit score

From my experience, BOA Cash Reward seems to be a good card to start with blank history. And CL may be around $1K.

Message 2 of 18
ddemari
Super Contributor

is 676 your FICO score or is that a Fako? do you know what your 3 fico scores are by chance? 

676 would leave you open to some options depending on income and your overall profile. If I were you, I would check to see what your FICO scores are and then report back. 

Discover could be good option for you, Maybe even a barclays card depending on what your TU fico is? and I assume you have low amount of inquiries? 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your reports are clean I would try Discover as they like thin files.  Starting limits no matter the score are often low with most banks until you build more payment history.   A synchrony store card like Amazon might be an option.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best bet with such a young file is to let it age a bit more I feel.  While your SL's may be in the hundreds now, they could easily be in the low thousands a year from now or even in 6 months with perfect payment history and low utilization after your AAoA hits a year.  If you open more accounts now, your AAoA will stay at 0 (less than 1 year) which I'm afraid will continue to hold you back from what you're looking to do (obtain cards with higher limits).  If I were you, I'd wait 6 months and pull your 3 FICO 08's.  If you're around 700 average, I'd say apply and give yourself a x-mas present or two.  If not, sit tight a few more months and pull those scores again. 

I personally wouldn't recommend continuing to app until you hit an average of 700.  Just my opinion.

Message 5 of 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If your reports are clean I would try Discover as they like thin files.  Starting limits no matter the score are often low with most banks until you build more payment history.   A synchrony store card like Amazon might be an option.

+1

Message 6 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I like the Discover idea also. Your score isn't so low that things would be too difficult as others starting their rebuild.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 18
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

There are people on this board myself included who got approved for 20k+ cards with a 676 or lower scores however most did not have thin files. DC, BC and CO are all good starter cards and do not mind thin files.  

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in your shoes 18 months ago.  You will typically see $500-$1k starting limits.  Don't go overboard.  It is easier to wait a year for bigger starting limits than it is to grow beginner cards like cap 1 steps cards.  I started with cap 1 and a store cc (bought washer and dryer 12 mo same as cash).  I let those report for 4 months then got another store card (Walmart or Amazon).   My limits were low and I knew they would continue to be low until I built some history.  I chose to stop applying for 6 months.  I used the cards like a debit card and was sure to pay the balance in full every couple weeks.  At the 10 month mark, I tested the waters with Chase and discover.  Chase shocked me with a $10k limit and Discover was $3k.  Discover has grown the most.  

I would recommend Discover, Walmart or Amazon.  Those are the accounts that I have seen grow the most when starting out.  It will take time so you will have to be patient the first year and no matter what, don't miss a payment and pay all but 10% of a credit card balance so they have something to report.  This time next year will be your reward for the "big" cards/limits.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One is really good with CLI. I started out with $1,000 and after 1 year I am at $7,500 and I am a student. Not too bad.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.